Search the forum,

Discuss Scratching my head here with this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hmm, I thought this was a plumbing forum. So the question is how far are you qualified to discuss these electrical issues?

I had a supposedly qualified plumber testing electrical connections, on a system he installed, and couldn’t get to work, by touching them together and see if they sparked. I forcibly pushed him Out of the house.

His employing company paid for someone qualified to rip out all his electrics and start from scratch.

They also redid a lot of his plumbing.

Qualified enough to do all the wiring that is connected to the boiler! How about you?
Hmm, never said I was, didn’t do it myself, but thought sparking mains wires together, by a supposed professional, to check continuity was not a proper way of doing it!

I was merely saying this is a plumbing, not electrical forum. There are certain secrets that this forum will not discuss with the unqualified, un registered. But hey, ho we discuss electrics.

I thought this might cause a bit of angst.

Nope all good. Gas is regulated a lot more. Also, I know you didn’t say you was. That is why I asked:p

Nope all good. Gas is regulated a lot more. Also, I know you didn’t say you was. That is why I asked:p

Never really thought about gas being more regulated than electrics. But I suppose the DIYer can’t legitimately connect anything gas, but could do something electric.

So are plumbing and electrical work have similar levels of restriction on who can do what?

Plumbing - water regulations but not really tha5 regulated (not heard of many prosecutions)

Wiring regulations - not actually enforceable by law

Gas regulations - enforceable by law

(I think :confused:)

Interesting on the level of enforceability

Not been involved in house purchase for 35 years till my daughter looked at it. It seems solicitors have no concern what’s done.

A friend had building work done and the firm employed took control of everything. But there were no certificates for the electrics. So the solicitors got them to take out indemnity insurance against any claims due to faulty electrics. So if someone got killed they would be covered!

I don’t know if this was easier / cheaper than getting the electrics tested. Seems immoral to me. So would a solicitor be concerned if there were no certificates for gaswork they suspected / knew had been done.

IIRC, the only legal gas document is a landlord gas safety certificate. Everything else is considered good or best practice. I wouldn’t know who’s responsibility it is to prove work they had done was legal.

Reply to Scratching my head here with this. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock