Search the forum,

Discuss Scam's & fraudsters warning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

have you encountered any one of those fraudulent con artist's trying to take your hard earned?

fire, police & ambulance magazine!.
national housing association breakdown cover!
pay £1,750 for a year and guaranteed 400 jobs or 3,000 houses etc, etc...

then post all your encounters in this thread to warn others
:wink_smile:

The last one I had was about three weeks ago. Blocked number on the office phone. He claimed to be from Kids Safe (or similar sounding). Basically wanted us to stump up money for them to produce a board game in the local schools. I said no thanks and he hung up.
I went online and googled it, This scam has been around for a few years apparently.

had one a couple of weeks ago, something to do with calenders. look out for that one!.

Anyone trying to sell you advertising space etc. over the phone and trying to push you to sign up there and then is likely to be dodgy. I always ask them to send details by post so that I can peruse the fine print before making a decision. To date not one has sent me any info.

Also anyone offering you a service contract for a large upfront payment is to be viewed with suspicion.

A couple of time actually -

They said 'oh we need a plumber to work for fire/police department staff'

Absolute crock! The last guy even offered me free advertising till the new year . . . .

They don't approach you like it is advertising however - beware!

Since registering here the volume has dropped dramatically

TPS

not bullet proof but it does show our taxes being spent on something useful.

Since registering here the volume has dropped dramatically

TPS

not bullet proof but it does show our taxes being spent on something useful.
yes but, this only applies to domestic residences.
if you run a business and use that phone, it dosnt apply..

Try the Corporate TPS

[DLMURL]http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/what/[/DLMURL]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by a moderator:
Copied of the TPS website!!!

Scams
There are also companies, usually operating from overseas that are running scams. One of the most common is based on a bogus PC support service where their aim is to get you to pay for an unnecessary service or gain access to personal information on your PC. Another is where they claim to be from TPS and ask for a payment for the service. Companies running scams like this from overseas are usually outside of the authority of the UK regulators and law. (See our section of Bogus TPS Calls)
SPAM SMS
Although SPAM SMS messages are not covered by the same legislation that regulates live sales and marketing calls we often hear about them because they are received on your phone. A company should only send you an SMS is you have given them prior permission. Identifying the companies that send these texts can be difficult for the same reasons as mentioned above. But you can report these to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) on the following website Complain - Data Protection, Freedom of Information, Marketing - ICO
If the text is from an unknown company you should report the text message to your network operator, who may be able to prevent further messages from the originating number. You can either contact your network operator.s customer services or use one of the reporting numbers below:

Orange, O2 and T-Mobile: Forward the SMS to 7726
Vodafone: Forward the SMS to 7726 or 87726
Three: Forward the SMS to 7726 or 37726

How or is there a way to stop the calls and texts to the mobile though??

Your replies will make interesting reading especially as i've had 6 this morning!!!

How or is there a way to stop the calls and texts to the mobile though??

Your replies will make interesting reading especially as i've had 6 this morning!!!

Throw it out the window.:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Throw it out the window.:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Would this be best done from a height or from a moving van or perhaps even a moving van on the motorway, sorry I am confused by this maybe a piccy would help!!!
Mickey taking bleep :punk:

Had a new one through today. Had an e-mail purporting to be from HMRC telling me that I had a £825 tax rebate due to me and should log on to give my details so that I could receive payment direct into my bank account. A check on the site adress revealed it had nothing to do with HMRC and was probably harvesting bank account details.

I use a handy little tool (think it's called 'Link Alert') which you can download in 2 seconds from Firefox Add-ons, it displays the url address of a link so you can see where it's taking you before you actually click it.

Link_thing.jpg

Edit: Oops, just realised I added the arrow pointing to the wrong link. You get the idea though.

Update: It's called URL Tooltip

Last edited:
I use a handy little tool (think it's called 'Link Alert') which you can download in 2 seconds from Firefox Add-ons, it displays the url address of a link so you can see where it's taking you before you actually click it.

View attachment 10026

Edit: Oops, just realised I added the arrow pointing to the wrong link. You get the idea though.

Update: It's called URL Tooltip

I've just installed that - nice one NPK!

Just had the old forresters fund for children call me again ! They sell you an advetisement in a mass produced magazine and it never gets published !

They called me on 07785 469076

Scam Alert

If like me you use free business listing's on the internet yelp, yalwa etc etc. You will know from time to time you will get calls to update your info with them.
Over the past couple of weeks have had calls from unknown listers saying they wish to update info to carry on listing and when asked is it free they say no you paid last year. When challenged they put the phone down. Beware this is a scam.

Re: Scam Alert

Did you report them to the relevant authorities? Just that a lot of people notice scams like this and don't do anything about it which allows them to carry on.

Re: Scam Alert

Did you report them to the relevant authorities? Just that a lot of people notice scams like this and don't do anything about it which allows them to carry on.
To be honest wouldn't know who the relevant authority would be. Just thought I'd tip the wink to the guys on here.

I've just been scammed by a company called service magic. They took £160 out of my bank for a weeks membership leads provided we're fake as no one replied or time wasters am trying to work out how I can get my money back not happy

there are a lot of scams to be wary of.but there is a simple tip to avoid being taken in by these scammers. get yourself a copy of my 'safe from scams pdf.' for only £19.99 :wink5:

Well I've had at least 10 calls from these guys going back 5 years now maybe more. They usually have Scouse accents and have said they are from the metropolitan police, fire service and ambulance service. I knew it was a scam from the start because the police could never endorse a blooming plumber..lol. I would keep them on the phone for as long as possible and just wind them up, pretending I was a legit customer. Usually when I confront them they show their true colours-ones threatened to come where I live.

i contacted the police about it and they made me feel like an absolute **** for reporting it. They said there was nothing they could do. So these guys a free to rip people off-I know 2 who've fallen for it.

sad state of affairs

Mo

This Service Magic, is it a worldwide thing? Just that having googled 'Service Magic Scam' I find complaints from here, America and other places. Seems they're now called Home Advisor.

when i advertised in yellow pages a good few years back,i use to get numerous calls every week with bogus charities wanting to supply wall planners they wanted £375 of me to send out ten thousand of these to local businesses and nhs i said no but they sent out two wall planners with my business logo on it out of the yellow pages, i then phoned all the people advertised on the wall planner and they said they had been hounded too and paid out money,every time i phoned this charity called kind kids in need or something i always got the same woman on the phone from liverpool there was back ground noise ie office workers chatting and phones ringing but every time i phoned it was the same tape playing so all of us on the wall planner got together and threatened court action and they disappeared i also get the police ambulance and fire department looking for plumbers to do work for them i am supposed to be recomended lol just another scam. hang up on them dont be conned. one hair dresser i know had been paying out £300 odd quid year after year if she did not send money they hounded her on the phone it turned out she was getting sent 2 wall planners only and this charity kind did not send any out to the public what so ever so keep an eye out for these scams folks we soon got rid off them for the hairdresser she was just a young lass trying to go it alone and she thought she was advertising but was well conned .

Last edited:
Sounds like the latest shower of reptiles.....

Just had a message from a girl saying she was from "Corgi Admin" telling me to ring her back as I was being awarded a contract for 300 jobs this year.

The number was 01383628700, a Dunfermline number, at one time the business was Corgi Boiler Maintenance, so this is how they are getting away with claiming to be from Corgi.

The actual business went into recievership in 2009.

Be warned, pass it on to any other forums you use.

Sounds like the latest shower of reptiles.....

Just had a message from a girl saying she was from "Corgi Admin" telling me to ring her back as I was being awarded a contract for 300 jobs this year.

The number was 01383628700, a Dunfermline number, at one time the business was Corgi Boiler Maintenance, so this is how they are getting away with claiming to be from Corgi.

The actual business went into recievership in 2009.

Be warned, pass it on to any other forums you use.
Do the right thing and give Corgi a call. Nothing will get done if people just keep complaining in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Scam's & fraudsters warning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock