Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Scalding hot water!! in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

Hi there, I've just moved into a new home, prior to this the previous owner installed a new boiler a "baxi ecolbue 16kw heat only". My previous home had a nice easy to use valiant combi which was simple to use, with my new set up having a water tank, pump and timer i'm struggling to keep the temperature down. Ive reduced it at the boiler itself from 70 down to 40 yet it is still coming out way to hot for me and everyone else in the house. Is there anything else i can do to get the water temp down, as its starting to p**s me off now! i much prefer my old valiant!.
    thank you for your time.

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Could be a fault with boiler, cylinder stat.

Needs looking at.

Nice problem to have though when normally people have no hot water.

Any chance you have a thermometer and can take a reading?

3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You sound like you are comparing your last system to your new one , they work completely different.
    If you have stored hot water i.e cylinder, the water temp should be at 60 degrees , a combi will generally give you 45 ish .
    The only way around it is to install thermostatic mixing valves at your hot taps .
    However , borrow or buy a thermostat and see what temperature you are getting at your hot taps and if its way over 60 reduce the temperature through your cylinder thermostat .

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is there a immersion heater been left switched on ? Kop

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

hi simon, unfortunatelyi dont! as i said my previous setup was a simple combi. A fault already? i hope not as it was only installed in july!

6. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

the water tank in the airing cupboard, ive looked at the plug for the immersion and it is off. Im hoping it isnt my thermostatic shower valve as this is built into the tiled wall :(

7. SimonG

Could you upload some photos of the airing cupboard?

8. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

Hi there, there is a small drayton white box at the base of the water tank with temps on, it was on 55. its connected in part to the timer above.

9. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes thats what we would expect , just buy a cheap thermometer from hardware store / b and q etc and check it is leaving the cylinder at roughly 55/60 . If it is its ok .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

ok give us a minute.
    1539810193350584371164153580883.jpg

11. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

The kitchen and bathroom basin come out a manageable temp.

12. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

Tell a lie I've just run bathroom tap, just as hot now.

13. SimonG

Aye, really need to get hold of a thermometer to double check.

14. Leeccc

Leeccc New Member

Where's the best spot to place the thermometer. Piping itself?

15. SimonG

I'd be happy just running it under the hot tap to get a peak reading.

• Like Like x 1