Search the forum,

Discuss Sanity check for new central heating system quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I bought a house last year which had very inefficient electric heaters and no gas connection. The house price worked out cheaper even if I do all the works so I went ahead with it.

I now have a gas connection installed and am in the process of getting a full central heating system. The house has two-floors and contains three double bedrooms, kitchen, toilet, living room, hallway and landing.

I have received 04 quotes and am planning to go ahead with one of them based on the company's experience and cost. Posting the quote here for a sanity check to ensure everything is suitable for the size of my house and nothing is missing.

Total quote is for £4400.

Vaillant EcoTec Pro 24
10 Years Manufacturer’s Parts & Labour Warranty
Supply and fit Nest thermostat
Supply and fit standard flue
Full system chemical flush with ADEY MagnaCleanse
Supply and fit Adey MagnaClean Micro 2 filter
Installation of Inline Scale reducer
Refill heating system with Adey inhibitor
Carry out electrical works as required
Removal and Disposal of old boiler and related waste
Remove rubbish and leave site tidy and clean
Radiators - 7 radiators and one towel rail
Thermostatic Radiator Valves for all radiators
Additional pipework
Free of charge first annual service

Also, what documentation should I expect at the end of this install? I have read about the gas safe certificate only.

Thanks.

Are they installing new pipework for radiators? If so, you might want to clarify whether it will be copper, which is what I'd want, and where it will run (hidden underfloors, surface mounted, boxed, etc.). There's a significant difference in price between visible plastic vs copper nicely hidden beneath floorboards and you need to be clear which you are getting.

24kw combi 28-30 kw I would recommend for a standard house

Seems a bit cheap

boiler and bits around 1.5k -2k

Rads and pipework around 1k - 1.5k

So I’m 70% sure it will be done in plastic and 10mm drops

TBH I would recommend 15mm drop to all the rads and in copper better flow rate less chance of it blocking like most 10mm plastic do

As for certs / forms

You should get all the manufacturers warranty
Building regs form might take a week to come but chase this up if you don’t receive it

Overall price appears very reasonable. However, unless you have just posted a few key points.
This quote/estimate is also very vague.
I agree with Shaun, specify Copper and confirm on pipe runs and routes.

I bought a house last year which had very inefficient electric heaters and no gas connection. The house price worked out cheaper even if I do all the works so I went ahead with it.

I now have a gas connection installed and am in the process of getting a full central heating system. The house has two-floors and contains three double bedrooms, kitchen, toilet, living room, hallway and landing.

I have received 04 quotes and am planning to go ahead with one of them based on the company's experience and cost. Posting the quote here for a sanity check to ensure everything is suitable for the size of my house and nothing is missing.

Total quote is for £4400.

Vaillant EcoTec Pro 24
10 Years Manufacturer’s Parts & Labour Warranty
Supply and fit standard flue
Full system chemical flush with ADEY MagnaCleanse
Supply and fit Adey MagnaClean Micro 2 filter
Installation of Inline Scale reducer
Refill heating system with Adey inhibitor
Removal and Disposal of old boiler and related waste
Remove rubbish and leave site tidy and clean
Radiators - 7 radiators and one towel rail
Thermostatic Radiator Valves for all radiators
Additional pipework
Free of charge first annual service

Also, what documentation should I expect at the end of this install? I have read about the gas safe certificate only.

Thanks.
All above, no harm in getting detail correct, has chosen contractor supplied his gsr credentials, and will it be the person you have met not someone else, sub contractors can be a nightmare Rob Foster aka centralheatking and always copper upstands to radiator valves
plastic looks crap and goes yellow

Last edited:
Personally I would advise a higher output boiler to give you a better hot water delivery , a copper install would be better but I have no problem with a hep2o hidden with copper drops as long as it installed correctly , ensure you have a 28mm copper gas supply installed from the meter to the boiler, the quote you have received is very very reasonable but as others have said its a bit on the low side as there is probably 3k + of materials ask your installer for a breakdown of the materials he's using and a detailed description of how it will be installed better to proceed with caution and know exactly what your getting for your money. Ensure the System is cleaned on completion and inhibitor is added, the Boiler benchmark is completed and warranty is registered with the manufacturer and Gas safe. Cheers kop

At that price its sounds like plastic , pay a bit more and go copper . Yes agree with all above 24kw would be a mistake , you need 30 kw , and it wont be that much more expensive.

At the risk of being the victim of a frenzied mob by my esteemed colleagues, I'm going to lob in an alternative based on a recent conversation with the tech director at Viessman... Sorry.

First. Get a proper heat calc done on your property. Understand what its maximum heating requirements are. What that does is ensure you are buying the smallest boiler you need which means its most effective and, oddly, lasts longest. Based on what I know, you'll need more like 15kw.
Second, do not, yes do not, buy a combi boiler for reasons already alluded to here. To do an appropriate water flow for a three bed house you need to severely oversize the boiler.
The best option to align with my first point is an unvented cylinder (UVC) with good quality pressure and qty of stored hot water. With standing losses so low on UVCs these days and recovery times so fast, all you do is set heating of your water to be outside the times of central heating use.
Lastly, invest, yes invest, in top notch controls so that your ongoing running costs are minimised.

Currently, IMHO, you are spending far too little on a system. Spending more will pay you back big style over time. So, if you are staying in this house, invest in your own future.

Let the tirade commence :(:rolleyes::D

Thanks.

If the installer needs to add a fused spur for the boiler, then the electrics will require certification too ......... which may mean extra costs upgrading and / or adding the necessary equipotential bonding cables too

At the risk of being the victim of a frenzied mob by my esteemed colleagues, I'm going to lob in an alternative based on a recent conversation with the tech director at Viessman... Sorry.

First. Get a proper heat calc done on your property. Understand what its maximum heating requirements are. What that does is ensure you are buying the smallest boiler you need which means its most effective and, oddly, lasts longest. Based on what I know, you'll need more like 15kw.
Second, do not, yes do not, buy a combi boiler for reasons already alluded to here. To do an appropriate water flow for a three bed house you need to severely oversize the boiler.
The best option to align with my first point is an unvented cylinder (UVC) with good quality pressure and qty of stored hot water. With standing losses so low on UVCs these days and recovery times so fast, all you do is set heating of your water to be outside the times of central heating use.
Lastly, invest, yes invest, in top notch controls so that your ongoing running costs are minimised.

Currently, IMHO, you are spending far too little on a system. Spending more will pay you back big style over time. So, if you are staying in this house, invest in your own future.

Well where do we start lol

Yorkshire Dave is quite correct especially in principle. . Rob Foster

Last edited:
Shakes his head , again , how the fec can you call the op a penny pincher, a one bathroom house is absolutely spot on to install a combi how can you call it inadequate? , how do you know he has room for a cylinder and boiler ?
Stop shaking your head I was wrong, there is another one concerning a Georgian building
which is penny pinching

We won't shoot you down in flames Davy boi your recommendation would work , but in reality the op has made his mind up to go the combi route bud, I totally agree with the kw needed for the radiators I see it all the time when gas rating a boiler on a install or service , but as we all know to get 10 litres plus a minute hot water you need 30kw or more . Cheers kop

Reply to Sanity check for new central heating system quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
I thought I'd create a master thread to move all of these similar threads into, over time like. If your central heating doesn't work boiler doesn't work radiators not working radiators or heating system is cold thermostat wont work or respond Then post a reply in this thread. Rather than us...
Replies
Views
Hi, I drained the the central heating, to remove a radiator. After refilling it, the heating now won’t work. It’s a combi . I’m getting this symbol
Replies
Views
I need to extend my central heating from my newly built extension in to the old part of my house. I need to feed 3 rads in separate bedrooms on the first floor and then to feed a towel rail in a bathroom a rad in the utility and a rad in my lounge on the ground floor. Can I run my 22mm flow &...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock