Search the forum,

Discuss Salamander Homeboost, Hot water coming out of cold tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 835 with a Salamander Homeboost pump fitted to the mains supply underneath the boiler.

If I switch on the cold tap first I get cold and if I switch on the hot I get hot, the booster kicks in but doesn’t switch off, but..

If I switch on the hot tap first the booster fires; does not switch off when I close the tap, then if I open the cold tap hot water flows?

If I close one of the isolation valves the pump stops as expected, and if I switch the pump off completely the taps work correctly.

My gas engineer says it’s bizarre and can only suggest replacing the pump, Salamander say they don’t think there is anything wrong with the pump as it stops when the isolation valve is turned. And neither can understand why hot would come out of the cold!?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you
David

"If I close one of the isolation valves the pump stops as expected, and if I switch the pump off completely the taps work correctly."

With this info, Id say try changing the pump.

Get salamander in if they’re sure nothings wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Id agree with salamander on this one. If the pump stops when isolated, that proves the pumps flow/pressure switches work.

Where in relation to the stop tap is the home boost fitted?

I'd also be asking your installer why he's fitted an 835 which is capable of 14ltm of hot water delivery, when the home boost is restricted to 12ltm.

Id agree with salamander on this one. If the pump stops when isolated, that proves the pumps flow/pressure switches work.

I'd also be asking your installer why he's fitted an 835 which is capable of 14ltm of hot water delivery, when the home boost is restricted to 12ltm.

Someone has suggested that maybe one of my mixer taps or shower thermostatic controls could be worn and allowing cold into the hot so when the hot is switched off cold could still be sleeping through..?

The booster is fitted 1m below the isolation valve and boiler.

Ground floor kitchen tap doesn’t get as hot as 2nd Floor bathroom?

The pump is fitted because my 3rd floor shower struggles with pressure, Ground Floor is adequate.

So the home boost only feeds the hot water? To have installed this you must have poor cold mains flow/pressure? Was the static/dynamic pressure and flow rate tested before installing the pump?

So the home boost only feeds the hot water? To have installed this you must have poor cold mains flow/pressure? Was the static/dynamic pressure and flow rate tested before installing the pump?

Yes, And has been installed for three years with no dramas.
I don’t know whether the pressures and flow rates were tested prior to installation, but I asked for it to be installed to help with my top floor shower.

With only hot water being fed from the pump If there is a mixer that is passing it is possible that the pump pressure when running is enough to force through the passing mixer thus keeping the flow switch activated. But when under standing pressure not enough to operate the flow switch in the pump.

Which would explain the hot water Coming through the cold tap too. The boosted pressure hot would be flowing through a passing mixer and forcing down the cold pipework.

So if possible to turn off isolation valves to mixer taps to identify which one is at fault then go from there.

And depending on system config I'd consider putting check valves on cold feeds to taps too.

With only hot water being fed from the pump If there is a mixer that is passing it is possible that the pump pressure when running is enough to force through the passing mixer thus keeping the flow switch activated. But when under standing pressure not enough to operate the flow switch in the pump.

Which would explain the hot water Coming through the cold tap too. The boosted pressure hot would be flowing through a passing mixer and forcing down the cold pipework.

So if possible to turn off isolation valves to mixer taps to identify which one is at fault then go from there.

And depending on system config I'd consider putting check valves on cold feeds to taps too.

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
Will give it a go and get back to you

I Agree with mastermixlee and is the reason for asking where the pump was located. The manufacturer do recommend that when using their home boost to solely feed the hot water supply, non return valves should be fitted to mixer taps showers as the static/dynamic pressures most likely won't be equal.

I Agree with mastermixlee and is the reason for asking where the pump was located. The manufacturer do recommend that when using their home boost to solely feed the hot water supply, non return valves should be fitted to mixer taps showers as the static/dynamic pressures most likely won't be equal.

No worries, I’ll give it a go.
Cheers

Good morning,

Just to back up some of what has already been said.

• It is unlikely to be a problem with the pump, to confirm this, as the pump is running on when it shouldn't be, isolate the cold water feed into the boiler after the pump (assuming its been fitted with isolating valve before the pump and boiler isolating valve after the pump) - it should switch off and return too its standby mode.
  • On the assumption you have had no plumbing work carried out, it is potentially a mixer failure somewhere in the system, i'm unsure if you are having this issue at multiple outlets or just one.
  • It could potentially be an issue with any mixing valve on the system, especially if you have low mains cold pressure. The pump may be activating as it should, but when a hot tap is turned off, if the mixer is passing, the hot could potentially overpower the cold and push hot water back through.
  • I agree with mixmasterlee and would suggest isolating the taps at source in turn to identify any possible problems.
If you have any issues or if you would like to discuss further, please feel free to give us a call on 01915162002.

Thanks

Good morning,

• It is unlikely to be a problem with the pump, to confirm this, as the pump is running on when it shouldn't be, isolate the cold water feed into the boiler after the pump (assuming its been fitted with isolating valve before the pump and boiler isolating valve after the pump) - it should switch off and return too its standby mode.
  • On the assumption you have had no plumbing work carried out, it is potentially a mixer failure somewhere in the system, i'm unsure if you are having this issue at multiple outlets or just one.
  • It could potentially be an issue with any mixing valve on the system, especially if you have low mains cold pressure. The pump may be activating as it should, but when a hot tap is turned off, if the mixer is passing, the hot could potentially overpower the cold and push hot water back through.
  • I agree with mixmasterlee and would suggest isolating the taps at source in turn to identify any possible problems.
If you have any issues or if you would like to discuss further, please feel free to give us a call on 01915162002.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply, I am going to try and isolate the mixers sometime this week. I will let you know how it goes...

Hello, just thought I’d let you know I have fixed the problem. It was a fault with the mixer on my shower. All sorted and working fine now.

Thank you

Thank you for your advice, isolates all taps and found I had a problem with the mixer on my shower.

All fixed now!

Good morning,

Thanks

Hello, just thought I’d let you know I have fixed the problem. It was a fault with the mixer on my shower. All sorted and working fine now.

Reply to Salamander Homeboost, Hot water coming out of cold tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock