Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Sad news from Glasgow in the Central Heating Forum area at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dotty

    Dotty Guest

    Two women found dead at Glasgow flat in suspected gas poisoning - BBC News

    The full story is yet to come out. However these poor women died from carbon monoxide poisoning which can only be caused by an appliance burning a carbon based fuel.

    This is why we on this forum take the position we do and will always insist that...

    1. You ensure your appliances are installed and maintained by a competent tradesman.

    2. You do not, under any circumstances whatsoever attempt to install, maintain or repair these appliances yourself if you are NOT qualified to do so.

    3. Always, always, always check that your tradesman is both qualified and registered with the appropriate trade body.

    And if you're not sure, you'll always get complete unbiased advice from us.

    Please stay safe
    • Like Like x 19
  2. lame plumber

    lame plumber Guest

    poor folks, an answer will be forthcoming idc. Hopefully no gas technician is for the high jump
  3. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    look like new ish build

    bloody big builders
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Matchless.plumb

    Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

    The funny thing is John, always when I go to my customers I ask them about their boiler when was the last service, most of the time I'm getting answer like 4-8years it hasn't been serviced. Once I hear that I always give them the advise to do so as soon as possible but now the weird things is they take it so easy and do not know in what sort of risk they live especially with children. They always look at me and I know exactly what they think * another engineer who wants my money * but here we go again people have to die first to make others realise how serious it actually is. I just hope a lot of people will change and look after their own lives as well as boilers.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  5. jtsplumbing

    jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

    Be a better idea if insurance company's were to ask to see proof of owners service history on gas appliances every year or there insurance would be void, But they would come up with the excuse they couldn't handle it & would have to increase premiums
    • Like Like x 4
  6. newcastle phill

    newcastle phill Guest

    Sad news and also a reminder of how important we all work to exacting standards
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Riley

    Riley Plumber GSR

    I hope a lot of people see Johns note. It's kind of reaching the wrong audience by us all reading it and commenting I'm sure every gas engineer on here takes their job and safety very seriously. Would be nice if gas safe or HSE made a bigger deal out of tragedies like this. I think communication and education are the biggest failings for these two bodies. I realise they don't have an unlimited budget but priority has to be people's safety and getting shot of have a go heroes. They could get on top of it with two or three big clamp downs and some serious jail time for offenders
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Ric2013

    Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  9. gerrym11

    gerrym11 New Member

    Seems some people like scaremongering and don't want facts to get in the way of a good story!
  10. Dotty

    Dotty Guest

  11. gerrym11

    gerrym11 New Member

    Oh, sorry, I thought it was quite clear. There are a number of posts here based on fiction rather than fact.
  12. Dotty

    Dotty Guest

    If you'd actually read it properly you'll notice that there was no attribution of guilt or speculation of cause at all other than those as reported at the time. The message put across then was, as is now, never diy with something that has the potential to kill you.

    So how about you wind in your neck and pack in attempting to cause trouble.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SimonG

    SimonG Trusted Plumber

    Hold fire. Just popping in the kitchen for my popcorn.
  14. gerrym11

    gerrym11 New Member

    You wrote "However these poor women died from carbon monoxide poisoning "

    That was bollox, so it is you that needs to wind your neck in chappie and and admit your mistake.

    Please don't start trouble with me just cos you made a cock-up.
  15. Dotty

    Dotty Guest

    As I said. As reported. And you've just signed your own warrant.

  16. lame plumber

    lame plumber Guest

    almost as good as the intergas forum...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. newcastle phill

    newcastle phill Guest

  18. unguided1

    unguided1 Plumber GSR

    One of things that I suggested to gas safe at the last review, the response was to basically sit down and shut up!
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.