Search the forum,

Discuss Running gas pipe under concrete slab in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am wanting advice on what is permissible with regard running a gas pipe under the concrete slab of a garage.

To give further info, we are building our own house with a integral garage, we propose to have the gas central heating boiler in the garage, towards the back, the gas meter will be semi concealed or is it semi submerged (I forget the term) outside at the front of the garage to one side away from the driveway. Although the house is almost constructed, the roof going on in the next weeks, we have not yet laid the concrete slab in the garage and we wonder if we could run the gas pipe in the hardcore before the slab in laid. We have a gas safe plumber ready to do all the plumbing and having discussed this with him, he is of the mind that he should bring the gas pipe from the meter through the wall into the garage and then run it up the wall, across (below) the ceiling and down to the boiler before going into the house for the hob etc. He has said he will check the regs on whether it can be run under the concrete slab but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I was hoping that we could use the yellow MDPE pipe perhaps in a conduit/ducting under the slab, what do you think? Also if it is permissible should the conduit/duct be yellow?

Thanks
Ian

Yes you can have a look at trac pipe

Aslong as he follows the regs you will be fine and acceptable

Wow that was a fast response, thank you.

A further question or two :):

I've now looked at the tracpipe, although more expensive than the MDPE pipe, if I'm not mistaken it can be run in the concrete slab as opposed to below and does not require a conduit?

What size to use (22mm) in order to prevent the appliances impacting on each others consumption? I'm sure my plumber will have this info but it's always good to talk!

Thank you once again
Ian

If it was me I would run it under the slab in a sand bed

And yes speak to your gas safe engy for this as it needs to be sized correctly

I would only bury if there is no other option
If above ground is possible why create a potential future problem

I would only bury if there is no other option
If above ground is possible why create a potential future problem

If done correctly don't see any future problems

If done correctly don't see any future problems
True but I'm sure you will agree if you go to do some work at a property, a visible gas pipe is nicer to see than one that disappears into the unknown

True but I'm sure you will agree if you go to do some work at a property, a visible gas pipe is nicer to see than one that disappears into the unknown

TBH if I've installed it I leave a line diagram and a plan of where it runs so does both me

Run it under the slab and in track pipe i would sleeve it under there if it should ever get damaged it could be replaced

would need to be ventilated tho bud

Why make life difficult? Suitably protected copper underfloor at the correct depth is fine.
Unless I am very much mistaken, MDPE cannot be used in this application, certainly not without being in a metal sheath. Even if t was, I cant see it being any cheaper than copper, taking into account the transition fittings

Hi,

I am wanting advice on what is permissible with regard running a gas pipe under the concrete slab of a garage.

To give further info, we are building our own house with a integral garage, we propose to have the gas central heating boiler in the garage, towards the back, the gas meter will be semi concealed or is it semi submerged (I forget the term) outside at the front of the garage to one side away from the driveway. Although the house is almost constructed, the roof going on in the next weeks, we have not yet laid the concrete slab in the garage and we wonder if we could run the gas pipe in the hardcore before the slab in laid. We have a gas safe plumber ready to do all the plumbing and having discussed this with him, he is of the mind that he should bring the gas pipe from the meter through the wall into the garage and then run it up the wall, across (below) the ceiling and down to the boiler before going into the house for the hob etc. He has said he will check the regs on whether it can be run under the concrete slab but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I was hoping that we could use the yellow MDPE pipe perhaps in a conduit/ducting under the slab, what do you think? Also if it is permissible should the conduit/duct be yellow?

Thanks
Ian

Im not so sure they like it in the concrete ?
Opening up a real can of regualation worms
Can you not lay concrete then run into the screed ?
Much simpler ?
Or go with the gsr s idea ?

Here is a few examples from Tracpipe which may help cheers kop

Screenshot_2017-09-10-12-30-49.png

Screenshot_2017-09-10-12-30-37.png

Gas pipework must NOT be buried in concert slab, It must ONLY be in the screed!
There must be at list 25mm of screed cover above pipe.
GAS pipework shall be Sleeved: factory sheathed, or on site application of PVC wrapping tape or bituminous painting ( wrapping tape should have 50% overlap ).
You welkom...

GAS pipework shall be Sleeved: factory sheathed, or on site application of PVC wrapping tape or bituminous painting ( wrapping tape should have 50% overlap ).
You welkom...

Thats only for copper

You welkom...

I can copy and paste as well

"Alternatively, pass plastic sheathed soft coiled copper through a larger tube that has been previously set into the base concrete or in a purpose made duct.Try to run vertical pipes in walls in ducts, with access if possible, never inside the cavity."

Google igem installation of pipework and read that

Let me guess you did a 6 week course ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running gas pipe under concrete slab in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock