Search the forum,

Discuss Running a new gas pipe from meter to kitchen advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about a 15 metre straight run under a wooden floor from the meter at the front of the house to the kitchen at the back.

There is a massive void under the floor joists (can even climb down and work underneath them) so I was thinking of clipping the 22mm copper pipe to the bottom of the joists. The pipe will be servicing a combi boiler and cooker.

I'm a Gas Safe newbie so I could do with some advice on any do's and don'ts that fall foul of the gas regs. I know it's a basic job but I'm a bit old school and it's going to take me a while to get used to all this legislation.

I would go with 28mm just in case. Do some calculation if 22mm will be sufficient for both appliances.

usually easy to run it above the supports between the joists and youl need at least some 28mm

Just do a pipe sizeing calculation just to make sure you don't get more than the 1 mb drop from the meter to the boiler .

24kW or 40kW boiler? Basic cooker or a 7 burner, tripple oven range? You size to supply needs choco. Best work out the requirements personally as everyone else has mentioned - IMHO :)

'Have you got your viper book?'

Not as yet, but will be purchasing. Need to get through the end of this month's mortgage/bill frenzy before I have any spare cash.

Ta for the pipe sizing replies so far. It's 22mm pipe coming off the meter so I assumed I would be restricted to that.

Last edited:

Ta for the pipe sizing replies so far. It's 22mm pipe coming off the meter so I assumed I would be restricted to that.
if you realy think that id go back to your training provider and ask for your money back

you mention your a gas safe newbie, so cant you refer to any of your training materiels regarding pipe sizing and regs?, surely youve got this material in your van like most of us?

Errrrr giving away our expirance for free come on guys !!!!!!!!!! You should know this from your ccn1 mate

Not as yet, but will be purchasing. Need to get through the end of this month's mortgage/bill frenzy before I have any spare cash.

or ye could get the lastest corgi one ÂŁ20 from there site gives all gas rate stuff aswell i havnt used me viper for ages only use it now when really need to double check stuff as easier to find in the viper think the corgi one is harder to understand but more detailed as for your job ad go at lest 5 or 6 meters in 28 mm then 22 mm or 28 up to the floor were the boilers going

the viper book is very expensive and is lacking technically to some degree. You should have notes from your acs to help and you could buy a corgi book one at a time while money is tight and there alot better than the viper books imho.

as for 22mm off the meter, dont think of gas as water. Gas can be compressed so does not get effected like water by one restriction along its entire run. So even tho the meter has a 22mm tail large pipework can be used. Do your pipework cals as per your training or follow the guide off the ukcopperboard website. If you feel you need to then buy a 28mm tail.

Last edited:
dont forget to protect pipe work from corrosion AFTER tightness test,dont know if its a must but i always do,

It's about a 15 metre straight run under a wooden floor from the meter at the front of the house to the kitchen at the back.

There is a massive void under the floor joists (can even climb down and work underneath them) so I was thinking of clipping the 22mm copper pipe to the bottom of the joists. The pipe will be servicing a combi boiler and cooker.

I'm a Gas Safe newbie so I could do with some advice on any do's and don'ts that fall foul of the gas regs. I know it's a basic job but I'm a bit old school and it's going to take me a while to get used to all this legislation.

15m x 22mm copper will deliver about 3.4m3/hr, which is the equivalent of about 36kw, (just under when you add a couple of bends to the straight run) so you need to add up the input of the appliances as a starting point
PS sorry to say what others will be thinking, inexperience as a newbie is one thing, but the fact you are a newbie means you have only just done this stuff, so something isnt quite right, most newbies seem to have their heads stuck in their books all the time, why arent you

:iagree:... favourite bedtime story - Corgi essential gas safety.

I am only recently qualified with the gas, still on probation period. But I would not be asking such questions, as already said pipe sizing and regulations should have been drummed in whilst studying.

there is also the possibility of future additions to a pipe run so there can be an advantage in over sizing.

what type of fittings are you planning on using? how far are you placing your clips?
what will you do with the meter whilst doing the job?
what will you do to the boiler and cooker after the pipework is finished?

Last edited:
I really believe we shouldn't be talking about things like this on an open forum we always complain works slow works stopped but we give out so much info and regs and things to check and not to what to look for any one can read and (have a go ) then people complain there's no work because non gsr and Howe public try to DIY with info off here This is my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
why didn't you mention it then,mr perfect,this site is trying to help newbys not try and put them down to make you look better

I really believe we shouldn't be talking about things like this on an open forum we always complain works slow works stopped but we give out so much info and regs and things to check and not to what to look for any one can read and (have a go ) then people complain there's no work because non gsr and Howe public try to DIY with info off here This is my opinion

We're not in an open forum. This is in the GS section. Joe soap can't read this section.

why didn't you mention it then,mr perfect,this site is trying to help newbys not try and put them down to make you look better

When you get your gas ticket you should know what your doing not asking simple things you should know I'm not mr perfect at all I'm just saying so many people on her say about non gsr and no work. But then give all the info and regs on open forum. Y not talk about regs. Ect in the closed part I'm all up for helping newbies but not joe public have a go gas man ect

choco managed it, am sure this is open forum, its the 'gas safety registered plumbers' section thats closed i believe ??

That was what I was saying how come he got in if it's closed I'm not putting anyone down everyone asks for help but surly we want to keep our work and our well earned and paid for knolage between us registered engineers not any old person diyer ect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running a new gas pipe from meter to kitchen advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock