Search the forum,

Discuss Routes to become a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stuyb1982

Hi

I have just been made redundant and now feel the time is right to do something completely different and am 100% sure it will be in plumbing. I am 32 so time is on my side.

I am currently doing a 10 week introduction to plumbing course at my local trade college in Norwich (CTS). I then have the option of doing the Diploma Level 2 6035 (not an NVQ) part time over 72 weeks at a cost of £4,000. I guess the option after that is the NVQ qualifications at a greater cost.

My question is...would I be able to be employed as a plumber once I have done Level 2 diploma course? If so, would I be able to do the NVQ during?

Any help on how to get my foot on the ladder would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

In short stub NO. There are a million people with level 2 and 3 but are useless. U cannot learn this trade in a class room. It takes time and mistakes to be a plumber not some waste of time rip of qualification. You would be much better off keeping 4k to live on while u work for some one for free for 2 years!

That does seem very steep in any event.

To be fair I probably learnt more over the years doing many jobs on my jack jones than I did at college.
Being All domestic work fitting kitchens and bathroom baashing and putting the odd radiator in or moving it here and there.. dry lining and plastering and tiling.
And fitting showers when it was allowed.
And all on a guvvy basis as I was working for british gas on electrical side full time.
I wasnt waiting on the money. And when jobs came along through word of mouth then great. If not then I had my BG wage.

If thats all your going to do (not showers unless your certed) then a level 2 wont make you do it any better or earn you a penny more unless you are clueless and have zero experience.

You do need to clarify that the level 2 includes onsite arsessment. Because the tech cert is worthless on its own.

The full level 2 is however prerequisite for progressing onto gas at some point...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add with the change in government funding come september. Level 2 and 3 are again fully funded .

I suspect college wont tell you that.

My experience is they will say anything to put bums on seats. Our group totally misled re our level 3 qual

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend doing what i didn't do ....
Go to C&G website and spend some time looking at the quals and then plan a route through them to get where you believe you want to be.
For finance i saw this on someone elses's post recently:
"would recommend going to college/apprenticeship route as, I have had to pay for my course which is level 3 plumbing and I went too studentfinance.direct.gov.uk, the price was £2010 but you only pay it back when your getting £25.000 a year income, and then it is some thing like £20 aweek and your at college 2 days full time plus you can claim your ex`s back off the college."

Hi Dude

the diploma is a waste of time to be honest, no plumber will touch you with the diploma, a diploma means you dont have the on site experience, you need to be going for the NVQ, i was in the same boat as you last september and was claiming JSA they passsed me onto the National Careers group and they got me in touch with Hull college, i got the funding to do Lvl 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating, whilst on the course my tutor told me i really need to be doing the NVQ if i want to follow this career path,

I have had previous Exp with plumbers so know about the trade and all i did was shadow a friend who has done it for years (for free) whilst my assesor did the paperwork needed to gain my NVQ, ask your Tutor if you can be moved onto the NVQ in my case there wasnt an extra charge then all you have to do is find a Plumber who will let you shadow him, it might be a ball ache due to insurance and stuff but i do reccomend this route

i wish you luck

ps 4k for your course????? move to Hull was only 1.8k :)

Hi,
I gained the Tech Cert in Souhampton, over 2 years part-time at college. I then shadowed a mate for free to get the NVQ 2 (3 Grand in total). Now I'm still stuck in my dead end job, unable to make my desired career change I wanted because everybody wants experience, of which I have little. Nobody looking to take on Plumbers Mates or monkeys happy to take minimum wage, so I'm feeling rather disheartened, and thinking that it was all a waste of time!

Hi,
I gained the Tech Cert in Souhampton, over 2 years part-time at college. I then shadowed a mate for free to get the NVQ 2 (3 Grand in total). Now I'm still stuck in my dead end job, unable to make my desired career change I wanted because everybody wants experience, of which I have little. Nobody looking to take on Plumbers Mates or monkeys happy to take minimum wage, so I'm feeling rather disheartened, and thinking that it was all a waste of time!

My view is it all depends how badly you want to be and succeed as a Plumber, I've found if you want it you will find a way, keep trying rewards will come

My view is it all depends how badly you want to be and succeed as a Plumber, I've found if you want it you will find a way, keep trying rewards will come

You are quite right of course. I will have to up my game!

Hi

I have just been made redundant and now feel the time is right to do something completely different and am 100% sure it will be in plumbing. I am 32 so time is on my side.

I am currently doing a 10 week introduction to plumbing course at my local trade college in Norwich (CTS). I then have the option of doing the Diploma Level 2 6035 (not an NVQ) part time over 72 weeks at a cost of £4,000. I guess the option after that is the NVQ qualifications at a greater cost.

My question is...would I be able to be employed as a plumber once I have done Level 2 diploma course? If so, would I be able to do the NVQ during?

Any help on how to get my foot on the ladder would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

I can't seem to post my original reply (maybe because it was the length of a book) :p So, in short, here's my take on classroom teaching:

It gives a great foundational knowledge of plumbing systems while the workshop assignments give you a taste of some of the smaller practical installs you'll come across (rads, wash basins, WC, bath, cistern and cylinder).

I agree that experience is by far the greatest teacher of all, but the C&G 6035 teaches you a lot, and it can only serve you well when you come crashing into the real world of plumbing. Just remember that the course will NOT make you a plumber, it will merely give you some foundational knowledge on which to embark your plumbing career, whichever route you choose to take.

Reading a few posts on here which suggest the plumbing studies level 2 (6035-2) is actually worth doing as it contributes 70% towards the NVQ level 2 (6089), can anybody confirm this?

Reading a few posts on here which suggest the plumbing studies level 2 (6035-2) is actually worth doing as it contributes 70% towards the NVQ level 2 (6089), can anybody confirm this?

I've done the 6035. It contributes heavily to the NVQ level 2 (6189).

All you then have to do for the NVQ level 2 is a few installs under supervision.

As for it's worth, I'll leave that for you to decide. It's a topic of much debate ;)

So it does contribute to the NVQ level 2, then surely it's worth doing as once you have the NVQ Level 2 under your belt your officially recognised as a qualified plumber in the industry and just require on the job experience

Hi all, this is my 1st post so hope I'm doing this right. I'm interested in doing a Level 2 plumbing course, but have concerns that some people think it's a waste of time. I'm not really looking to go full time with an employer. I'm a self employed mortgage broker and want to do something manually to break my week up. I currently do odd jobs for people and have come across some plumbing leaks that I have managed to fix. I'm now considering being a plumber OR just learning about plumbing so I can do the job properly and basically know what I'm doing. I'm aware that I need an NVQ if I want someone to employ me, but I'm not looking for employment, but in my case do people still think it would be a waste of my time to go back to college and gain some more experience in the plumbing industry in the hope that I will be able to take on more plumbing work, without the need to become a full time plumber? Does that make sense? Thanks

I recently completed my City & Guilds 6035 level 2 at my local College, I was lucky to be working for a plumber during this time. I paid £1600 for the course and like everyone else was told I needed to progress onto the NVQ, but here is the catch...

You cant do the NVQ without doing the 6035 if you have no prior experience in the trade, but the NVQ and 6035 are the same course, same textbook and same exams. Only difference is 8 onsite assessments to prove your competence.

My course was full of people i wouldn't trust with anything, failing exams and not giving a monkeys. I passed every exam with top marks and worked my socks off.

Now I've finished my 6035 I'm not going to do the NVQ, I'm not paying £2000 upwards to have someone come see 8 jobs when I know, and my employer knows I'm more then able.

I recently joined another plumbing & heating company on the strength of my knowledge and passion to achieve, even more rewarding because they contacted me.

Anything is possible, you just need to be hungry for it. Don't be doing it because you think the money is good or you fancy a change. Because you won't succeed!

So it does contribute to the NVQ level 2, then surely it's worth doing as once you have the NVQ Level 2 under your belt your officially recognised as a qualified plumber in the industry and just require on the job experience

In all honesty, I wouldn't worry too much what the industry classes you as. I used to be in a rush to want to be recognised with the 'plumber' label and I gave up because it's experience what counts, not just what paperwork you've got.

I've fast learned that to make it in this industry, just knuckle down and get on with it. Learn from as many people as you can and don't look back. Exams a great as a confidence builder, to prove technical knowledge, but experience is golden and priceless!

This is just my opinion based on my experiences with doing the technical certificates and what I've learned since leaving the academy. Take from it what you wish but good luck with it all man :)

Hi all, this is my 1st post so hope I'm doing this right. I'm interested in doing a Level 2 plumbing course, but have concerns that some people think it's a waste of time. I'm not really looking to go full time with an employer. I'm a self employed mortgage broker and want to do something manually to break my week up. I currently do odd jobs for people and have come across some plumbing leaks that I have managed to fix. I'm now considering being a plumber OR just learning about plumbing so I can do the job properly and basically know what I'm doing. I'm aware that I need an NVQ if I want someone to employ me, but I'm not looking for employment, but in my case do people still think it would be a waste of my time to go back to college and gain some more experience in the plumbing industry in the hope that I will be able to take on more plumbing work, without the need to become a full time plumber? Does that make sense? Thanks

So basically, you want to be a qualified plumber on a part time basis to fill the gap between your mortgage broking?

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do YOU think it's worth it?

Cheers, it has been interesting to read peoples thoughts and opinions on the plumbing studies level 2 (6035-2) as it's something I myself am looking to do, I'm 32 years old and a qualified Mechanical Engineer (NC/CNC) I have been in this trade 14 years and I earn a decent wage doing it, last year I earned £28,500 before tax tho that includes a fair bit of overtime, I now feel if need a new direction in life as I am so bored of doing the same thing day in day out, working in the same factory everyday with the same people, don't get any job satisfaction out of what I do and have lost all passion for the job, I basically feel like a mindless robot stood at a lathe all day lol, anyway tomorrow I have an advisor coming to my house from a training center which I think I'm going to give a wide birth as I have decided that I would rather go through my local college instead who run an evening course tues/wed 6-9pm, I know this route will take longer but I feel i will learn more by having more time to absorb the information and would have more time to complete modules rather than trying to absorb a lot of info in a short time and rushing to complete modules on a fast track training center course.
I dream of having my own plumbing and heating business and building something I can pass down to my 3 sons, hopefully by the end of next week I will be enrolled on the course and on my way to fulfilling that dream

Just stick with bathrooms and tiling jobs. You don't need to drop 2k on courses to do that.
One of the best bathroom fitters I know have never been near a college or plumbing course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Routes to become a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock