Search the forum,

Discuss Rounded retaining nut. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,Iam trying to change a quarter turn ceramic disc valve on a shower mixer lever tap.The nut is only accessable using a 18mm socket.The only problem the nut which is brass has been rounded.Any advice will be much appreciated.

Gator socket?
Socket with steel pins inside, one size fits all?

If it is really badly rounded the gator may not work however 11/16 AF is slightly smaller than 18mm and a regular AF size and Brass is soft metal.

Wacking on the next size or two down in imperial works for me if not something for the job... okay on steel not sure about brass especially of the nut depth is small...

Erbauer Bolt & Nut Remover Set 6 Pieces

Last edited:
Mole grips or a new tap

18mm is a really unusual size. Sure its not 17? Without a pic its difficult to say, but often these things have removable collar so you can get at the cartridge which needs to be removed first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rounded retaining nut. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a kitchen mixer tap with quarter turn levers and the cold side started dripping. I took out the ceramic valve and replaced it with one from Screwfix but it hasnā€™t solved the problem it still drips. Could it be a dodgy valve or is it something else? Thanks
Replies
Views
A simple procedure has turned difficult. I am trying to disconnect a floor-mounted bidet so I can change the click clack waste. All is straightforward apart from disconnecting the two flexible hoses to the mixer tap. I had expected the two isolators to make this easy but was unable to turn the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, my first post here so go easy on me... šŸ˜„ I have Danfoss HPA2 motorised valves fitted to my heating system and one of them is giving me problems again. Typical as its the same one I replaced in December 2022. The heating never came on today so I checked the valve and the lever on...
Replies
Views
Hi. Husband and I, both 85, have done our own plumbing all our 52 years married but are finding it harder now to get under sinks etc.!! Our current problem is a sixty year old supatap in kitchen sink. It has not needed attention for many years but is now dripping badly.We are unable to unscrew...
Replies
Views
Hi All. My Aqualisa Aquavalve enclosed mixer shower valve leaked and gave way and I am looking to replace. I am looking for recommendations what model would I replace it with and how would I replace it if I changed the model! I would like to change the type of model to a lever one. I have...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock