Search the forum,

Discuss Rotate branch on soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

honeymonster

Hi there,

I have a pvc soil stack which unfortunately runs inside my house in a cavity wall. Currently the branch for the toilet waste comes out 90 degrees to the wall, under the floorboards and through a hole in the floor for an old style vertical waste toilet.

I need to rotate the toilet part on the stack 90 degrees so that it runs parallel to the wall (so i can feed it along the inside of the cavity wall and then run it horizontally through a hole in the wall) allowing me to fit a new toilet close to the wall.

I hope I've explained this well enough. What I need to know is, can I just rotate this part of the stack? Or am I going to need to buy a new part/reseal it etc etc?

thanks in advance

Maybe you can , maybe you can't, it all depends on hoe the stack was put together.
If the fittings are solvent cemented then its solid and you cant move it, you would need to cut a section out and replace as necessary. If on the other hand its pushfit then you "may" be able to move it , it depends on whether the plumber used proper silicon grease on the fittings or some other lube like soap or fairy liquid. The silicon stays put and you can generally move the fittings years after, unfortunately soap/fairy will dry out and the fittings will be very difficult to move.
You will have to check the stack and if its pushfit then give it a tug and see what happens.
A word of warning though, if the fitting will turn it often turns the whole stack which can be a problem if you have other waste pipes connected into it as well.

Cheers Nick, I'll give it a wiggle and see what happens. Will keep my plumber on speeddial incase it all goes wrong!

Tom

yeah be careful u could have waste water leaking - push fit is easier in a way - bear in mind u dont too much of along run from the bog to stack and needs to be slopin aswell -

there are water regs that may need to be applied here too

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicks advice is good sound advice.

You can also get silicon spray to try on the push fit joints if you can see them that is. If you can't get silicon spray, try some spray furniture polish if its the sort with silicon in, some pvc window installers say to use that on their door locks.

Its avoiding using anything with hydro carbons in it on pvc. Because plastic stuff is made from hydro carbons it melts it down if you use the likes of ordinary engine oil as a lubricant.

Washing up liquid has a degreasing agent in it and so it effects the rubber rings not the pvc if I remember right. Could be wrong though it maybe the other way around, but which ever it is, the joints go solid if its used as a lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rotate branch on soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock