Search the forum,

Discuss Riello burner reuse.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We changed our Grant oil combi a while back and I kept the good working burner unit.
I now happen to be in need of a workshop heater.. See where I'm going with this?
Can I re purpose the Riello for use as a workshop heater using it like a space heater?
Love to hear some ideas.
Cheers.

Not by itself, no!
You need to have a warm air unit, or just a boiler doing rads so to use the burner with. Would need to be installed to new regs.
Maybe stating the obvious, but workshops and garages are risky to have anything that could ignite. Petrol, paints, sawdust, etc.

As Best said not by itself! Any burner burning fuel needs to have adequate flue to vent products of combustion to outside. Although the burner itself may be functional, to heat this space needs to be done properly and comply with regs. Oil storage, supply and appliance must all comply.

Thanks for useful answers, I was about to buy a kerosene space heater off Amazon, and looking inside these are very crude!
I thought a quality item like the Riello burner may be reusable in a similar way, maybe not?

Not by itself, no!
You need to have a warm air unit, or just a boiler doing rads so to use the burner with. Would need to be installed to new regs.
Maybe stating the obvious, but workshops and garages are risky to have anything that could ignite. Petrol, paints, sawdust, etc.

Yep, I wasn't thinking of just opening it up like a flame thrower in my garage!
That would warm it a little too much!

Not by itself, no!
I'm not looking for a fixed installation, something portable like a space heater.

Even the electrical space heaters (those with a large element clearly visible) I think are dangerous in a garage/workshop as could ignite something and I know my own garage has raw petrol fumes at times.

Space heaters are pretty cheap. Doubt you’d save much compared to buying one if you take your time into account.
Also, assuming your workshop is your place of work then you come under Elf & Safety regs like PUWER. If you’ve cobbled something together then you are effectively the manufacturer and are responsible.
If someone gets hurt (including yourself) the HSE could get involved. If an employee or a member of the public got hurt you’d be in deep Rubbish.

Space heaters are pretty cheap. Doubt you’d save much compared to buying one if you take your time into account.
Also, assuming your workshop is your place of work then you come under Elf & Safety regs like PUWER. If you’ve cobbled something together then you are effectively the manufacturer and are responsible.
If someone gets hurt (including yourself) the HSE could get involved. If an employee or a member of the public got hurt you’d be in deep ****.

It's just for me so no problems with regs. I am about to plumb the house up and was going to allow for a Myson blown air heater in the large conservatory, the type that use the heating circuit for hot water. Maybe I'm better off leaving a couple of 22mm pipe stubs in the garage to install one later? (running out of cash!)

Any installation requires proper calculations to define desired burner output. When you say regulations aren’t necessary that sounds alarms. They’re not just to comply to regs, or protect you but the immediate environment. If you were to install say a 26KW boiler to feed your house, that maybe sufficient enough for your house but if you tee off as you say to supply the workshop as well you may never have the required output.
I have no experience with space heaters personally but if you’re going to do this properly I would explore other options. I understand you are strapped for cash but these systems must be sized correctly and comply to all current regs.

Any installation requires proper calculations to define desired burner output. When you say regulations aren’t necessary that sounds alarms. They’re not just to comply to regs, or protect you but the immediate environment. If you were to install say a 26KW boiler to feed your house, that maybe sufficient enough for your house but if you tee off as you say to supply the workshop as well you may never have the required output.
I have no experience with space heaters personally but if you’re going to do this properly I would explore other options. I understand you are strapped for cash but these systems must be sized correctly and comply to all current regs.

Yes I had Grant do that for me off the plans so no problem to get it checked again but I doubt it will be much different Tbh.
I did mention regs in relation to a portable space heater, not the house!
:)

Your house requirements will differ from your workshop. With rads and cylinder full load your house may require 30KW for example, your Worksop may require more or less. Undersized or oversized creates all manor of problems. If you want to use a space heater then I can’t comment as I don’t know the regs. If you’re going to use a pressure jet burner then this MUST be done properly.

25653_1.jpg
:)

It seems my idea may be valid.
Now does anybody actually know how this would be laid out internally?

Like we said these burners can be used in applications like this but not how I/we initially thought you had suggested. In terms of how this particular item is constructed inside I wouldn’t know exactly without having a look at its spec. Again these units will need to be installed to comply with current regs. Oil storage, oil supply, appliance, flue, thermostatic Control etc must all comply.
Having said all this I’m going to look into these further as it looks a nice bit of kit.

Best do you have much experience with kit like this? I can honestly say I’ve never worked on a hot air unit. All our customers are boilers and cookers.

Screenshot_20190202-221118.png

Looks like a complicated heat exchanger for indirect operation, may be an option one day but this would take some building from scratch...

Luggsey can you provide a link so I can look at this particular unit closer. Just out of own interest

I would say someone made that

Hiring is an option, one I hadn’t considered honestly. However like I mentioned before there’s more to it than plug and go. Because this will be heating something other than a single family dwelling, the oil tank must be bunded as standard along with proper location and any required fire protection. If your house oil tank is bunded and complies to regs you could run a second supply from tank, again this must comply and if you’ve only got a small tank running two burners then refilling Will be more frequent. Also the flue needs installing and you can see the outlet from the unit in picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Riello burner reuse.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hello alll, I have a firebird combi oil burner with the riello burner rdb in. It was working perfect up untill yesterday where it's going straight into instant lockout and won't do anything. Not fuel related because I can see it squiring out. Any guesses to what it could be ? Thank you
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a noisy fan on the boiler so investigated, just a bit of dirt in the casing however, having removed the burner unit I replaced the Burner Nozzle no problem, old was very dirty and sooty. Found the boiler wouldn't fire up. SO rather than than mess...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a noisy fan on the boiler so investigated, just a bit of dirt in the casing however, having removed the burner unit I replaced the Burner Nozzle no problem, old was very dirty and sooty. Found the boiler wouldn't fire up. SO rather than than mess...
Replies
Views
Lincoln22
L
I have a customers trianco burner that starts from cold ok for a few minutes (say 3minutes) then locks out then will not stay on. Boiler had not been serviced in a long time and oil filters were bunged up as was the nozzle. I decided to service it with hopes it was simple starving of fuel from...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock