Search the forum,

Discuss Riello 40 oil pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

obleo

I fitted an Riello 40 oil pump to an RDB burner and (to my surprise) it seems to work fine.
Anyone know of any reason why this pump substitution may be a problem, long term or otherwise?

[h=2]If anyone here knows any reason why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace[/h]

Wash pressure is different, use different coil arrangement and different hp oil line fitting. But if you've got it on and its working I'd say you're good top go. Though personally I carry both on the van as wouldn't want to chance a problem.

I fitted an Riello 40 oil pump to an RDB burner and (to my surprise) it seems to work fine.
Anyone know of any reason why this pump substitution may be a problem, long term or otherwise?

Why??

done well to get that to fit then, now i look they totally different, ps please define "wash rate" is that 30kg/hr at 12 bar spec

wash pressure = pressure generated during purge, older pumps were around 4 bar in order to open the oil rams where fitted.

wash pressure = pressure generated during purge, older pumps were around 4 bar in order to open the oil rams where fitted.

thanks for that, keep on learning throughout your life, and kilopascals are...............

I fitted an older Riello 40 pump I happened to have. It just went straight in with little or no effort, running at a steady nine bar. The RDB pump it replaced was noisy after only 12 months as was the previous pump, that is to say 2 RDB pumps have been replaced due to excessive noise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also worth knowing is that if (when) the oil rams leak on most boiler it is no problem to just dispense with the em completely, with the possible exception of a non balanced flue low level discharge.

I fitted an older Riello 40 pump I happened to have. It just went straight in with little or no effort, running at a steady nine bar. The RDB pump it replaced was noisy after only 12 months as was the previous pump, that is to say 2 RDB pumps have been replaced to to excessive noise.

something is causing a problem here then if pumps keep failing, dirt, water tank height issues pulling air through. air ingress. r you oil engineer or diy

Some have done that by changing a fitting over on the pump, I think & fitting the coil with the nut upside down or something, if I remember right.
Not much point in doing that if you can get an RDB pump, - you would have to be an idiot, tbh, but one engineer told me to use the 40 pump as it is £1 cheaper!!!!
Now, putting a Danfoss pump on a Riello burner, that's a wee bit harder!

something is causing a problem here then if pumps keep failing, dirt, water tank height issues pulling air through. air ingress. r you oil engineer or diy

Riello pumps are poor & it's a lottery how long they last. That said, as you say, a clean oil supply, paper element filter & probably a tigerloop will maybe help them last.

Pump filter clear, as was tank filter. Have heard rdb pumps have been causing problems of late, possibly connected to the altered composition of kero.

Pump filter clear, as was tank filter. Have heard rdb pumps have been causing problems of late, possibly connected to the altered composition of kero.

the kerosene low sulphur issues affect vapourising burners in various amounts but havent heard that it causes pump breakdowns or wed have a lot more work.

All Riello pumps have been causing problems for years & with spells of major troubles. Not fit for purpose using Kero IMO & other pumps, like Danfoss don't have this problem.
If a new burner that used a Danfoss pump was suitable (like a Sterling), it would work out a lot cheaper than changing Riello pumps every 2 or 3 years!

It does create a lot of breakdowns. If you open a fairly new Riello pump & look at the gears, you will find the drive pin worn where it hits the gear & it is often shiney at one side where it is twisting. The first gear will have a gouge out of it where the drive pin has cut in.

I agree with you on the Danfoss pumps. I would never fit a new Riello unless specifically requested. it's the Electro Oil Sterling every time.

I agree with you on the Danfoss pumps. I would never fit a new Riello unless specifically requested. it's the Electroil Sterling every time.

Yes, it's amazing generally how reliable the Electroil burners are & the Danfoss pumps are often lasting well over 15 years. Danfoss are a lot cheaper also. Only thing that often gives trouble is the Danfoss solenoid.

Unfortunately (or should that be 'ironically') reliability ain't good for business.

I've though it would be good if danfoss would make a 'riello compatible pump, I'm sure they would sell well given the number of riello burners around nowadays.

I've though it would be good if danfoss would make a 'riello compatible pump, I'm sure they would sell well given the number of riello burners around nowadays.

Have wondered for years why Danfoss didn't, or couldn't do a substitute for Riello pumps. Don't think there should be a legal problem but maybe they think it is not the way to do things.
There was Pumps that did Riellos that were Chinese but were probably illegal as were boxed as Riellos.

To think that a lot of people will be replacing a decent standard efficiency boiler that has a reliable burner, to a new condensing boiler, partly to save oil & then find their new Riello burner needs a new oil pump often!
Seems it might be a case of - save a £100 a year on oil & spend it on new pumps!

I find it quite noticeable when you replace a old riello pump the difference in weight between the old and new.

I find it quite noticeable when you replace a old riello pump the difference in weight between the old and new.
Must check that.

Maybe it is the weight of oil in the old pump, - they hold a fair bit.
Or it's a lot of crud! Lol!

Can't remember the last time I installed a new boiler that didn't have a riello burner in it.

I can wall hung grant, also i believe trianco don't use grants (not that I would fit one!) not sure about the new HRM's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Riello 40 oil pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock