Search the forum,

Discuss Returning to plumbing and heating - looking for a refresher... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

My name is Aaron, I completed a four-year apprenticeship after leaving school and attained my NVQ level 2 in plumbing and also completed, which was at the time, CORGI registration. After my training, I installed a number of boilers, full central heating systems and conversions. I was also part of a small-works team for a while, changing pumps, radiators etc...

However, after six years out on my own installing gas, I decided to see some of the world and ended up travelling/teaching abroad for nine years. In that time I also completed a Bachelor's degree in English.

I am now settled back into UK life and looking to reinvigorate my career. I am 34 years old and based in Kent. My question is do you think it viable I request six-months shadowing an engineer before being let loose by myself again? I am considering approaching some companies.

I know I can simply go and re-qualify with gas and start up alone but I would rather get my hands dirty and build my confidence back up before doing so.

Any advice about which way to go about this is highly appreciated.

Hello Aaron,

It sounds feasible what you’re asking, I would certainly try the work experience root to get your hands dirty and get back in the game.

Why dont you do British Gas or one of the big boiler manus they are screaming for experienced and will get your papers back up to date. Then dump them and head off on your own. Others will have their ideas I hope...let us know
what you decide...centralheatking

Chances are you wouldnt be able to just go and re sit your gas as you have to do that within a certain amount of time of them running out, so I would assume you would have to do initial again so would need to produce a portfolio.

Try phoning around but others may be different but round me its recently gone really quiet so companies may be a little reluctant to take someone on and pay for them to do their gas etc.

Hi Millsy, I contacted a number of gas training companies and they said as I was CORGI registered before I could either sit the exams again or go through some training, though would not have to complete a portfolio (i would simply skip this part). I confirmed this with two other companies and both said the same. However, I have heard other say they needed a portfolio :)

My understanding of the accreditation process ( using Logic) is that once your qualification is more than 12 months out of date, you are required to take ACS as if you were doing it for the first time.

Why dont you do British Gas or one of the big boiler manus they are screaming for experienced and will get your papers back up to date. Then dump them and head off on your own. Others will have their ideas I hope...let us know
what you decide...centralheatking

Are big boiler manufacturers screaming out for engineers? Not seen much advertised.

Reply to Returning to plumbing and heating - looking for a refresher... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock