Search the forum,

Discuss Retrofit (wet) UFH in house built in 1996 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Finding this site really usefull but would like to hear peoples experience with the installation and merits of retrofit underfloor heating.

I live in a 2 bed semi detached built in approx 1996. I want to fit a low profile wet UFH system to the whole of the downstairs (approx 20 sq/m). I am told the floor is concrete block and beam with a screed on top, unknown insulation depth (would there be a standard depth on a house of that age? It is a barrett house if that helps!). I am hoping i would be able to install UFH over the top with one of the many low profile system available and it be reasonably efficient, but more importantly it will be the only heat source downstairs so needs to get the room warm (it will be open plan).

Hopefully that makes sense

Thank you, Matt

i wouldnt recommend it as no insulation below

My understanding of good UFH is that it has great mass and stores up heat in the mass. A suspended floor might well not have this mass. But I suppose you could drill a hole through stick a camera down to see how big the void is and then inject loads if thermal foam into the void...Its just an off the wall idea from centralheatking

There are plenty of systems that you could install.
What height of screed are you able to put above the existing floor?

As for heating the area, with not a great depth in the screed - reducing mass, just install the pipes at 100mm centres.
We have done this on numerous occasions and have had no problems.

My understanding of good UFH is that it has great mass and stores up heat in the mass. A suspended floor might well not have this mass. But I suppose you could drill a hole through stick a camera down to see how big the void is and then inject loads if thermal foam into the void...Its just an off the wall idea from centralheatking
It redistributes the heat across the whole surface area. Nu-Heat have a great site explaining the various types of install plus vids on youtube. I have used the company a few times. I've also installed retro fits which isn't as straight forward with suspended Floors but is always do-able.

Reply to Retrofit (wet) UFH in house built in 1996 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock