Search the forum,

Discuss retraining advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jobbit

Hi everyone,
I am looking at retraining and have seen a lot of the comments on here about 'training centres' and have also read other places that people take age in to account when taking people on.

I'm 35 and looking at retraining and live in south west essex. Does anyone know of any reputable training facilties which don't ask for a huge sum of money and my first born and offer the qualifications that employers are looking for? Also anyone from my way know what the job prospects are like for someone entering the business at my age, given that I am a total newbie to plumbing?

i'm not too happy with the of training by post or cbt as some schemes i have read up on.

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

your doing right by looking into it, but be careful. with many centres looking for 8k to get you through and the credt crunch leading to a downturn in work, how long before you make your money back?

Thanks Fuzzy, seems to be a bit of a minefield everywhere for jobs with no money to go around. Getting properly qualified with skills as well as theory as soon as possible so that i can get food on the table and bills paid is my main aim. I'm worried about getting paper qualifications but not the right practical skills for my money.

i'm coming from an IT background and have seen this in IT. Training courses for silly money offering 100% pass rates and required qualifications, which end up worthless as they are only worth while to pass exams, get out into the real 'hands on world' and people dont have a clue what to do outside the book. This is why i worry about these study at home courses.

Hi,
I am 37 with a mortgage and I am going to OLCI in Cardiff starting in July to do the fast track. I know time served plumbers hate fast track but I have no choice and I respect there views and hope to one day become a good plumber and I will listen and learn all the time. I am from an IT background and due to several reasons I am completely sick of office work. I am under no illusion it is going to be an easy ride and not planning on earning much for about 12 months. However if I can be happy and get by until I can earn some good money I frankly don't care.

Cheers
Chris

Less than 10% of newly trained adults at my local college get a job in the industry. Many private trainers will tell you they are crying out for new recruits but this simply isn’t true in the majority of the UK. It is in their interest to let you believe that the jobs are out there. They are the same people who run IT courses 10 years or so back. When the bubble burst they dropped it like a lead balloon as they will you.

I don’t see how they can guarantee you all jobs it simply isn’t possible. Is it just a few weeks work to get your NVQ? I couldn’t see how any company could take on 10s or possibly 100s of newly qualified plumbers when they need experience. They may be able to carry some new recruits but not such a large number especially when plumbers are hunting for work in most areas due to the credit crunch.:rolleyes:

I don’t want to put a downer on things or you but do your own research. Just add to your CV that you have newly qualified as a plumber and send it out, see how many get back to you. If they do you can make your excuses and say you will phone back in 12 months as you have work for that period. I think this may make you all realise that the work is simply not there. Some say they will go self employed, good luck, there are alt dong it, especially experienced plumbers and there prices are low at credit crunch time.:eek:

Read this and let me know your thoughts, I’d be happy to be put straight!:)

Hi,
I Appreciate what your saying fuzzy and I quite agree; OLCI have fed me rubbish that there are jobs out there and I know that there are some areas that people have no chance of getting work so it's not fair to build their hopes up. However I know that where I live and I have friends who are in all trades (inc plumbers who work for companies) that have told me I have a good chance of getting into the trade and there is plenty of work if you want it. Like I said I am not expecting it to be easy and to earn a fortune but I am planning on eventually being as competent as others at plumbing.
Cheers Chris

i wouldn't take any newly trained plumber on they are to much of a risk.
you can have certs coming out your ears, but i prefer someone with experience of the work and dealing with problems and customers.

and we don't need anymore plumbers the country has slowed right down so work is getting tight.

With respect AJS, If I can be half as succesful as yourself as you obviously have time to spend just digging at everyone trying to make a go of plumbing rather than doing plumbing, I will be a happy man. (albeit a self employed one)

With respect AJS, If I can be half as succesful as yourself as you obviously have time to spend just digging at everyone trying to make a go of plumbing rather than doing plumbing, I will be a happy man. (albeit a self employed one)

i can afford to spend time digging when you have people doing the work for me.
you'll never be as succesful as me (you and all the others training now days im afraid you have missed the boat)

as for all these I T suited bods who one day think they can be Gordon Gekko then be a plumber on 50k need to wake up they will never make it. you have to get ya hands dirty.

i can afford to laugh i sat a 5 yr apprenticship not a six month course ran by fly by night money makers.

Cheers Fuzzy, thanks for all the input, a lot of it is trying to put a realistic view.

AJS, As for being an IT bod who doesnt have his head in the sky expecting to earn 50K I'm grateful to those trying to be helpful.

And for one I'm not at all afraid of getting my hands dirty i just dont want to waste time and money on courses that arent worth the effort.
No one has said that they are wanting to go into the plumbing arena for a laugh, its a career change and i have 30 years to give before retirement age so i would like to know i am getting a good grounding into a career that will be my future. Hence coming here for advice. Respect to those who are offering their advice whether it be nice to hear or not

Cheers Fuzzy, thanks for all the input, a lot of it is trying to put a realistic view.

AJS, As for being an IT bod who doesnt have his head in the sky expecting to earn 50K I'm grateful to those trying to be helpful.

And for one I'm not at all afraid of getting my hands dirty i just dont want to waste time and money on courses that arent worth the effort.
No one has said that they are wanting to go into the plumbing arena for a laugh, its a career change and i have 30 years to give before retirement age so i would like to know i am getting a good grounding into a career that will be my future. Hence coming here for advice. Respect to those who are offering their advice whether it be nice to hear or not

no problem, good luck to you. im just trying to give you a wider picture. your able to make up your own mind, just need things to be put straight to help you make your decision. for me, i dont think its worth it, if you leave it 2 or 3 years (if u can) then you will walk into a college and pay a fraction of the cost.

if i were retraining i would go for a plasterer, they earn a fortune at the mo coz there arent many trained in it, there are places available at colleges who run it. that would be my choice,

good luck

AJS wot a classic time served response - dont you like it that i trained quicker than you huh? I have my own business now and am doing well.

You will never be as skilled as me, because I care about my work more than you do i can tell you . . . Judge the course is one thing but dont class us all as idiots pal, or you might look a bit of a prat when my business is bigger than yours in the not too distant future.

Sod off oout of the section of the forum for new trainees if you hold that attitude - go and con some granny out of her money or something, thats all you TSP are good for innit?

i dont think aj was having a go, just trying to be realistic mehera. im sorry if it sounds tough but the facts are that 10 weeks C&G 6129 does not make you a plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to retraining advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock