Search the forum,

Discuss Research into plumbers and how they promote their business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello!

I'm currently doing some research into the plumbing trade and wanted to understand a bit around how smaller traders (micro-business / self-employed) promote themselves to their customers. My research so far has been limited to a Google search, but I'm curious to know a bit around:

- What methods do plumbers use on a regular basis, and which are the most effective? (e.g. Local heros, Which?, business card on a notice board, word-of-mouth, fellow plumbers who are fully booked).

- What do you find your customer's single main priority is when deciding whether or not to use your services? (e.g. price, trust, availability, parts)

- Roughly how much of your week would you say you spend looking for new customers or new business? (3hrs, 4hrs, 5hrs, etc)

- Feel free to add anything else you feel is relevant to the broader topic. Frustratingly I haven't unearthed much else so far, so my current approach is still very broad.

My research is aiming to look into plumbers and related traders who are either self-employed or work in small teams of up to 5 people, located within the UK.

If any of the responses are used as part of my research, I will remove any names or usernames and refer to people anonymously but will recognise the forum as my source.

Thanks very much for your time!
Andrew

Hi Andrew I will be pleased to assist you - for this you might like to send me a private msg. In order you get many replies I suggest you explain to the collective wisdom on here why ?

So I'm about to enter the second year of my marketing degree and one of my upcoming modules is a business-to-consumer research module. We have been asked to get some initial research done into a possible area and field, and so I have chosen to look at independent traders and micro-businesses of up to 5 people in the trade / plumbing sector. Why plumbing? Well it seems a lot less documented on the research platforms (Mintel, Nielsen, YouGov) I've looked into and usually that means better marks (providing I don't talk garbage in the essay).

Smaller businesses and sole traders have always interested me in general though - big companies have budgets for this and can hire professionals. But how do smaller companies or one-man-bands do it? Do they even bother at all? Do they rely on luck and the direction of the wind?

Andrew.
In light of the potential for quid pro quo, might I suggest you formally offer to share the outcomes so that those who potentially contribute can also benefit?
Please DM me. Happy to share some experiences and insights.
David

Reply to Research into plumbers and how they promote their business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock