Search the forum,

Discuss [repost] Possible to put a toilet on the other side of the house to the soil pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya- I was told in my previous thread to register and then repost the same question? Not sure why that was, but here it is!

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice? I was wanting to install a small en-suite (just a toilet and washbasin) in an upstairs front bedroom. The existing soil pipe and main bathroom are at the back of the house. We're in the middle of a terrace row, so no sides to run pipes down. Is it possible to put a toilet there? If so, would it require a Saniflow, or are there other options? Tyvm!

Re: [repost] Possible to put a toilet on the other side of the house to the soil pipe

Hiya- I was told in my previous thread to register and then repost the same question? Not sure why that was,

Mainly because it is easier to participate if there is a name besides whose posting what, 10 Guests in a thread could be confusing to all.

Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: [repost] Possible to put a toilet on the other side of the house to the soil pipe

Hiya- I was told in my previous thread to register and then repost the same question? Not sure why that was, but here it is!

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice? I was wanting to install a small en-suite (just a toilet and washbasin) in an upstairs front bedroom. The existing soil pipe and main bathroom are at the back of the house. We're in the middle of a terrace row, so no sides to run pipes down. Is it possible to put a toilet there? If so, would it require a Saniflow, or are there other options? Tyvm!

Try to find out if the joists under the floor run the same way as you want the pipe to run.

Assuming the floorboards run at 90 degrees to the joists(?) then the joists must run in the same direction I would want the pipe.

Assuming the floorboards run at 90 degrees to the joists(?) then the joists must run in the same direction I would want the pipe.

So far so good, might have to wait awhile for the guys to get home and post advise for you now as my only advise is do not install a macerator whilst you have other options.

Thank you. That's what I was feeling too, from the little I've read about them so far!

Thank you. That's what I was feeling too, from the little I've read about them so far!

Oi! I make my living from them! lol

Correctly installed, serviced and used I have some still running as good as gold after 18yrs of use, don`t believe everything you read in the papers. lol

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not sure I like the idea of a toilet that needs regular services! ;)

How come you suggest it as a last resort then?

You need to know the depth of your joist and also if there is a fairly clear run available - not full of pipes and masses of wires for example. The odd wire or copper pipe might possibly be rerouted no problem.
If not too long a distance it is sometimes possible to use a male to female 4" bend with the male (pipe) end for through the floor slightly. This can give you option of a reasonable slight fall for the 4" pipe.
Ideally you need to have 8 or 7" depth available. The 4" fittings can be about actual diameter of 5" if that gives you any idea.

Last edited:

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not sure I like the idea of a toilet that needs regular services! ;)

How come you suggest it as a last resort then?

Damm expensive for good ones, need electricity so can`t use them in a power cut and sooner or later somebody will forget their limitations and flush something they shouldn`t down the pan.

You need to know the depth of your joist and also if there is a fairly clear run available - not full of pipes and masses of wires for example. The odd wire or copper pipe might possibly be rerouted no problem.
If not too long a distance it is sometimes possible to use a male to female 4" bend with the male (pipe) end for through the floor slightly. This can give you option of a reasonable slight fall for the 4" pipe.
Ideally you need to have 8 or 7" depth available. The 4" fittings can be about actual diameter of 5" if that gives you any idea.

I can't really pull up a floorboard right now, as a relative is staying over in the in-between room. I guess once I can I should be able to just shine a torch and look all the way along? I'm struggling to imagine how it'd be possible to get much of a slope in that small space though? It's quite a long distance it has to travel, so even if there's an 8" space, it's not going to be very steeply sloped is it? =/ Won't waste just sit in it halfway along?

Needs around 18mm per metre

I can't really pull up a floorboard right now, as a relative is staying over in the in-between room. I guess once I can I should be able to just shine a torch and look all the way along? I'm struggling to imagine how it'd be possible to get much of a slope in that small space though? It's quite a long distance it has to travel, so even if there's an 8" space, it's not going to be very steeply sloped is it? =/ Won't waste just sit in it halfway along?

How far is it to run approx?
It needs a constant fall, but very slight. It is actually a bad thing to have too much fall on a horizontal run of sewer pipe as the water will not push the solids away as good.
If the soil pipe is supported every metre or so and with very slight fall, it will work fine.
The level showing just "off the bubble" on a couple metre length will be okay, although strictly speaking not to recommended fall.

The loo had been moved from the back wall to a couple of metres past the middle of the house before I bought my current house. Joists run the wrong way too.
The soil runs above the floor(hidden in a vanity unit, then a small bit of boxing) under the back of the bath, then into a 90 (91.5) about a foot of soil going down through floor then into another 90, through a supporting wall and then along the old kitchen ceiling and out through the wall. The kitchen ceiling was then lowered by about a foot to hide it.
I wouldn't personally be over the moon with the two elbows only a foot apart, sounds like a hot spot for blockages, but I've owned the house for nearly 15 years, even had it rented out for about 5 of those years and never a problem.

Needs around 18mm per metre

Oh is that all? I imagined it'd have to be much steeper. O.O

Last edited:

How far is it to run approx?
It needs a constant fall, but very slight. It is actually a bad thing to have too much fall on a horizontal run of sewer pipe as the water will not push the solids away as good.
If the soil pipe is supported every metre or so and with very slight fall, it will work fine.
The level showing just "off the bubble" on a couple metre length will be okay, although strictly speaking not to recommended fall.

Very roughly guessing it's about 10 feet (basically the length of the room between the back wall and the room I want to put the toilet in, since I want it on, or very close to the dividing wall between the 2 rooms anyway).

The loo had been moved from the back wall to a couple of metres past the middle of the house before I bought my current house. Joists run the wrong way too.
The soil runs above the floor(hidden in a vanity unit, then a small bit of boxing) under the back of the bath, then into a 90 (91.5) about a foot of soil going down through floor then into another 90, through a supporting wall and then along the old kitchen ceiling and out through the wall. The kitchen ceiling was then lowered by about a foot to hide it.
I wouldn't personally be over the moon with the two elbows only a foot apart, sounds like a hot spot for blockages, but I've owned the house for nearly 15 years, even had it rented out for about 5 of those years and never a problem.

That's really interesting. I had wondered what they would do if the joists had been the other way around, or if it simply needed more vertical space than was under the floor to have enough of a slope on it.

Very roughly guessing it's about 10 feet (basically the length of the room between the back wall and the room I want to put the toilet in, since I want it on, or very close to the dividing wall between the 2 rooms anyway).

That's a very short distance really and you should have no bother getting a slight fall if joists are 7" or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to [repost] Possible to put a toilet on the other side of the house to the soil pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock