Search the forum,

Discuss Replumbing for radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louisbean

Hi all,

We're planning a bathroom renovation and have bought a new radiator to replace the one pictures.

It's an old style 2 column radiator, it's about 4cm shorter than the current one, and it's on legs. These would clash with the pipes if they were left as they are.

I'll get a plumber in but in advance I need to think about whether I need to make sure the floorboards are clear to be taken up, or whether there's a simple and small rearrangement of the pipes that won't necessitate taking them up.

You'll see that the pipes go into the next room to serve the living room radiator. I guess this means that the pipes have to stay pretty much in this shape?
8be96aa170c6d4e05239983864b0144f.jpg

Any advice welcome!

If you're going to the expense of renovating your bathroom, I would allow in the budget to re-pipe the existing pipework.

If you leave the pipework the way it is, the bathroom will always look like it was never done properly.

Only my views

Hi Oz - yes I totally agree. I guess what I'm asking is whether you think that'll necessitate pulling up the floorboards? I'm guessing it will - and if so I need to pull up all the backing board.

Also how big a job is that and how much would you expect that to cost?

I have no idea how much it will cost, but budget for say 10 hours, for a Plumber to do the alterations and fitting off of the new panel, plus materials.

Cutting up floor boards is no big deal, I assume you are going to waterproof and re-tile the floor

I need to make sure the floorboards are clear to be taken up, or whether there's a simple and small rearrangement of the pipes that won't necessitate taking them up.

Floorboards!? What about the tiles!?

Yes we are retiling. I am trying to decide whether to take the backing boards up - if I don't need to get At the floorboards I can leave the backing boards on as they're in good nick and o can retile straight back on to them. It sounds like the answer is that some floorboard work will be necessary, so I will take the backing boards off too.

Ideally, it should look like this:
rraadd.jpg
And to do this you will need to go under the floor.
Hope it helps.

Hi Alex, yes that looks great. My one remaining question then is how this then gets threaded through to the next room? Currently it happens under the centre of the radiator above the floor. Is that a bodge, and Should this happen below the floor? It's a masonry wall - and I'm wondering if that's why it's been done like that?

Hi Alex, yes that looks great. My one remaining question then is how this then gets threaded through to the next room? Currently it happens under the centre of the radiator above the floor. Is that a bodge, and Should this happen below the floor? It's a masonry wall - and I'm wondering if that's why it's been done like that?

If you like, the pipework could go into the wall. Your plumber will have a solution for you, don’t worry. If there’s a need, your plumber will go under the floor or into the wall to rearrange the pipework. You just need to tell him how you want it. It’s your call. What you have right now is not a bodge. But things do change with time and some might see your existing design is not acceptable.
Also, I hope your column radiator is skinny enough, cos you might end up with not much space between the rad and the bath.
tight.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replumbing for radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have recently bought my own house and decided to redo the kitchen. There was a radiator in the room already but I wanted to move it. I extended the pipes (8mm microbore) and plumbed in the new radiator. I opened the isolation valves and filled up the radiator with no issues. I've bled every...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi - we have had new radiators fitted about 6 months ago ("DuraTherm Horizontal Double Flat Panel Designer Radiator" from plumbworld - sorry, this site won't allow me to include a link to the site). Every radiator in the house was swapped for one of these apart from an older one in the...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock