Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing some gas piping with 28mm pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dfish

Hi
I have had five quotes to replace my boiler which is a 32kw Ariston combi. Only two of them want to replace some of the piping - (only 12m to be replaced with 28mm pipe from the meter and leaving the other 10m at 22mm to the boiler). How do I know who is correct?
the boiler was to be replaced with either a 32kw Vaillant or 30kw Worcester.

Thanks D

as they may have calculated what the boiler requires m3/h and your existing run couldnt supply that

Whoever you decide to choose make sure they are Gas safe registered......regards Turnpin:D

Thanks that narrows the choice down. One of the guys that said it wasn't necessary thought the 2 that wanted to change the pipe size were just trying to increase the price of the job!!

22m in 22mm? It will need upgrading. Is it a straight direct run or are there bends galore?

No bends in the pipe they want to replace but there could be three bends in the remaining pipe.
How do they know that just by replacing some of it will be sufficient.

Thanks that narrows the choice down. One of the guys that said it wasn't necessary thought the 2 that wanted to change the pipe size were just trying to increase the price of the job!!

Did this guy base his opinion on pip size calculations carried out, or just threw it out there off the top of his head? 22m pipe run all in 22mm seems too small for a 32KW boiler.

No bends in the pipe they want to replace but there could be three bends in the remaining pipe.
How do they know that just by replacing some of it will be sufficient.

I would say because the blokes are qualified and competent.

I don't know. I moved into this property and have had 2 repairs to the boiler in 6 months and its still not right. Thats why I thought I would replace it. If they replace some of he pipe it means I have to re-carpet all the hallway and so I just want to make sure they know what they are talking about. Thanks

Ok they are all gas safe registered but giving me different info. I just wanted another unbiased opinion. Thank you.

Ok they are all gas safe registered but giving me different info. I just wanted another unbiased opinion. Thank you.

as for there calculations :D if one produces one go with him

There are ways that we use to calculate gas runs, using given formulas , just one of the things we need to know, that's why we do training courses & take exams that cost us a lot of money to enable us to safely work with gas,

Thanks I appreciate that - despite them all being Gas Safe registered they still give conflicting info but this forum has been very helpful. Thanks you

Thanks I appreciate that - despite them all being Gas Safe registered they still give conflicting info but this forum has been very helpful. Thanks you

We've got a few members in Edinburgh. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you additional quotes if you want.

Thanks I will probably just go with the quotes I have and accept one of the quotes that includes replacing the pipe. Thank you

Thanks I will probably just go with the quotes I have and accept one of the quotes that includes replacing the pipe. Thank you

what boiler they installing?

Thanks - yes its all these different views that is confusing but it was the pipe recommendations (or not) that was worrying me. Cheers

What made you decide on a vaillant ecotec. What was the clincher ??

I am a worcester fan but they don't do a 32kw boiler and I believe that both worcester and Vaillant are equally reliable. It wasn't the clincher. I only have 2 quotes who want to replace some of the pipework with 28mm so I will go for one of them. One was Scottish gas and they are the most expensive so I will go for the other one.

Have you tried some independent installers ??

Look at offerings from ideal and baxi.
Both have equally excellent offerings.
The vaillant is just too complex on the user interface needlessly so imho.
The boiler also costs quite a bit more than other competing ones and doesnt offer better reliability or better customer service

Another vote for Ideal over Vaillant. But essentially, if you have an installer you trust, go with the brand he or she trusts. If they know it well and are comfortable with it then you'll likely have a smoother install and easier maintenance as they'll know what to look out for when servicing.

Thank you - its the pipe issue that really concerns me and its knowing who to believe. Its a very costly exercise to rip up my hallway (and if thats not enough to rip up my tiled kitchen floor with under floor heating).

As you have been given conflicting advice on replacing the gas pipe, you could ask the engineer you are happiest with how did they come to the conclusion it needs upgrading. If they did the calculations and that's what the result says they must use then they won't mind showing you.

It's one of those situations where it either does need doing or it doesn't, not much of a grey area between so ask why. Obviously not in a "are you trying to sell me something I don't need" way, it is a perfectly legitimate question when you are paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing some gas piping with 28mm pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock