Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing Rayburn 480D with Grant Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lincolndavis

I want to replace my ancient Rayburn 480D oil boiler/cooker. The boiler side is rated as 25.7kw. I am considering replacing it with a Grant Vortex Pro External Model. Does anyone have an opinion if I can get away with the 21-26Kw model or should I use the 26-35model. Am I right in asuming that the Grant ought to be way more efficient than the Rayburn.

Thanks in advance.

What is your actual heating and hot water load, i.e. how many rads and what size. Not a fan of Grants, but many are and yes it will be a lot more efficient than the ratburn.

Thanks, I am not sure what the load is, but the Rayburn at 26Kw heats them adequately. I have 2 very big double radiators (72"'X30") and 5 smaller single radiators average size 30"x24") and an average sized hot water cylinder. The property is a converted barn and is a poorly insulated so there is a lot of heat loss. Why don't you don't like Grant boilers and do you think Worcester are better?. I want an external boiler, is there anything else on the market that other than Worcester that you would recommend?

Every grant I've worked on (except one last week) has had multiple leaks, I now refer to them as t bags. Big fan of the worcesters, especially the combi's. For heat only I also like the warmflows. I'm sure they do a kabin pak (external) heat only.

I suppose on the boiler size it would also depend if you were going to be extending or adding to the number of rads in the future. In which case I would go for the 26-35, at least it gives you somewhere to go.

The Rayburn will heat 16 radiators (standard size, say 1.5Kw each). If you have 16 radiators this means you'll need about 24Kw for heating and another 2Kw for hot water so, in theory, you should be able to get away with a 26Kw boiler.

Bear in mind that this is without seeing the house!

Just seen your second post.

I'd go for a 18/25Kw Worcester boiler. Fit and forget, more or less. Other makes are okay but Worcester has a good warranty and they are reliable.

I have to day I would not recommend a worceste or warmflow worceste boilers are more time consuming to service and parts are more expensive and have to be ordered rather than off the shelf.that is only my opinion based on boilers I deal with. I wouldn't touch anyone's combination because they all leak. I only fit and service oil boilers ,grant have been producing outside oil boilers longer than most. Whoever you speak to will be different if you get one with a 5yr warranty you can't go wrong.all the manufacturers will provide 5yr warranty if their approved engineers fit them. You pay your money and take your chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing Rayburn 480D with Grant Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Grant Vortex Blue 26kw external oil boiler, installed less than 12 months ago. It's had intermittent non-starting problems resulting in multiple warranty visits, part replacements and eventually burner replacement. The replaced burner I discovered was a 'yellow flame' one, apparently...
Replies
Views
Grant Vortex 50/90 condensing oil boiler where the air tube spigot over the fan is not connected to the existing flue, should this be closed off with a Reillo cover plate to stop vermin getting into the open fan motor.If is blanked over will need a further combustion test to confirm adequate...
Replies
Views
Any advice welcome as plumber stumped Had 36-46 grant vortex utility boiler 7 years no problem recently oil tank move and tigerloop install (tank about 1m lower). 10 days later and boiler either doesn't fire or fires stops, fires runs splutters stops. Most it runs now is 10 mins, but that's...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock