Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing radiator without draining down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I've removed a radiator from the wall. The trv and lockshield are still attached to the pipes but turned off. Heating is still on and other rads are still working.

I've got a new radiator, trv and lockshield to fit.

I've read some guides on how to replace the radiator, but they all mention draining the system down, but I'm struggling to work out why.

If I shut off water supply to the boiler, and turn the boiler off, why can't I just take the trv and lockshield off and replace them? The rad is on the top floor, but has flexi pipes so I can easily catch any bits of water still in the pipes when I move them around.

Or would all the other rads on the top floor drain out into the pipes I've just opened? What about if I shut the trvs and lockshields on all of them?

Ive got a combi boiler and the pipes for each rad run directly back to the boiler.

Thanks for any help (as you may have guessed I'm new to this!)

You should be able to isolate the flow and return under the boiler, after draining and removing the radiator, catching any water you can then open up trv side into a bucket and same for lockshield side (count the number of turns - for balancing). Fit new rad and valves, open them up (remembering to count the lockshield side). Open flow and return under the boiler, re-pressurise system, bleed rad and check for leaks.

I've removed a radiator from the wall. The trv and lockshield are still attached to the pipes but turned off. Heating is still on and other rads are still working.

I've read some guides on how to replace the radiator, but they all mention draining the system down, but I'm struggling to work out why.

If I shut off water supply to the boiler, and turn the boiler off, why can't I just take the trv and lockshield off and replace them? The rad is on the top floor, but has flexi pipes so I can easily catch any bits of water still in the pipes when I move them around.

Or would all the other rads on the top floor drain out into the pipes I've just opened? What about if I shut the trvs and lockshields on all of them?

Ive got a combi boiler and the pipes for each rad run directly back to the boiler.

So far so good, do not remove the trv or the the locksheild. just replace the rad and re connect ..maybe using extension diy stuff, then open the valves and re pressurise the system ..to 1.5 bar on the boiler
...when off and cold. its not a good idea especially in winter to trust a trv closed ..because they are a bit thick..and when it gets cold will just open to,heat the room even if there is no rad to feed,...so with no rad to,fill the trv will just dump,the contents of your heating system all over the floor and below
centralheatking

I usually switch all radiator valves off from the trv’s or any valves that aren’t lock-shields
If accessible, isolate flow and return at the combi boiler
Than drain and change each valve independently. Don’t drain both valves together.
Best way without drain down.
If it’s upstairs rads, then only isolate rads at the same level or above.
Isolating the boiler conserves water in the expansion vessel as long as there isn’t one fitted externally.
External ones are only usually fitted if the internal ones fail and are inaccessible.

Try it and find out:p:p:p:p

585773B7-729E-420A-A165-305FF2918D12.jpeg

So far so good, do not remove the trv or the the locksheild. just replace the rad and re connect ..maybe using extension diy stuff, then open the valves and re pressurise the system ..to 1.5 bar on the boiler
...when off and cold. its not a good idea especially in winter to trust a trv closed ..because they are a bit thick..and when it gets cold will just open to,heat the room even if there is no rad to feed,...so with no rad to,fill the trv will just dump,the contents of your heating system all over the floor and below
centralheatking
If changing rad. Always change valves.

Your combi boiler runs from the mains pressure water pipe leading into your property, therefore your system will be pressurized, the tvr and lockshield are the only two components when in locked or off position stopping that pressurized water from spraying out of the pipe work, if you was only going to attach a new radiator to exiting pipe work it is ok to change rad without draining system, but if you are wanting to change the whole of the lockshield and tvr components then draining the system is advised.

Just open valve and catch the water , shouldn’t be much, then you can cut/ solder whatever you want !
I do this on open vented too just put a 22mm speedfit cap on the vent and a carrot in the feed!
Honestly this is pretty basic stuff i thought we all did.

Just open valve and catch the water , shouldn’t be much, then you can cut/ solder whatever you want !
I do this on open vented too just put a 22mm speedfit cap on the vent and a carrot in the feed!
Honestly this is pretty basic stuff i thought we all did.
Well I would rather be safe than sorry, especially on a sealed system.

I always use this method if possible, ever since spending hours trying to refill a badly designed system - running round venting and backfilling with mains etc.
In terms of caution, I always have the appropriate sized speedfit cap nearby in case it lets go, and the trusty Charles hoover. Although only needed once, a faulty aav I hadn’t found in back of airing cupboard, this one I drained.

Would you not need to isolate all other rads to drain only the one as they are all connected? Now I am confused lol

Sums up your lack of knowledge. Unless you know what you are doing then stop making yourself look like a tit by commenting on stuff you obviously know sweet fa about.

FYI:

Just changed a 10mm trv today. In and out in approx 20 mins, and that includes cutting old olive off as new nut doesn’t marry up to existing. :cool:

Reply to Replacing radiator without draining down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock