Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing outdoor tap washer without turning off outdoor mains? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonty

Hi I'm new to the forum and have very little plumbing experience but hope someone can help with my question.

I recently moved to a house in the country and there is a free standing outdoor tap connected to a wooden pillar on my driveway it's located about 5m from the actual property. The tap is leaking even when in the closed position so I want to change the rubber washer.

I turned off the stopcock under the sink and all water to taps in the house and to outside taps on the property's walls has stopped flowing, but with the problem tap on the driveway the water hasn't stopped? I think I need to turn off the outside stopcock but I can't find it. I want to try and fix this myself before contacting landlord.

My question is, even with the outside stopcock in the on position could I still replace the rubber washer on the tap in the driveway? Given that the tap is outside if water goes everywhere it won't matter.

I know I have to unscrew the middle nut of the tap to separate it and replace the washer but will the water pressure be so great that I will not be able to put the tap together again?

Thanks for any info

Changing it over, with the water on at mains pressure will only end in tears.
Your landlord should fix these things for you.
Try and trace the pipework back as far as you can and see if there is an isolation valve you can use.

I have done exactly the job you describe. You will get absolutely soaked and need to be pretty strong to get the tap back together with mains pressure at full force but it can be done.

The trouble is that once you go down this route there is no going back and the cosquences of failure could be pretty hairy.

I recommend that you find the stop tap.

Agree Paulus,

the first time changing a tap under mains pressure is a harrowing experience for a trained plumber let alone someone with no experience.

You're right - a lot can go wrong.

get the landlord in. This is like renting a car fixing a fault your self. Do not attempt it with out the water off. If you get in to trouble you are stuck

Hi, not sure what you mean by "in the country" but generally the main to a farm will be along the property boundry along a main road and the teed off to the property. You will then have a stop valve at each point (ish) that it is teed off to drinking troughs and house and outdoor buildings...... convert these into outdoor taps and nice barn conversions and goodness knows where these valves could be.
So i would walk along the road near the edge of the property and look for a water main valve under a 12x8'' plate hopefully but inlikely to the marked by a concrete marker post.
Overall, landlords problem.

If you choose to ignore the advice to leave it alone, please get someone to video you trying, you might as well get £250 from the TV companies for the video

as with any outside tap installed to the regs. there should be an isolation valve then a double check valve then the outside tap so somewhere along the pipe work there should be an service valve also as its an outside tap it should have an iso valve for the winter to stop it from freezing most likely there isn't, my advice would be to ring your land lord and get him to sort it out, if he wont send him your water bill

There will be a stopcock at the boundary to the property. The water supplier will have plans showing its location.

However as stated, repairs should be the responsibility of the landlord.

I have changed taps and washers and animal trough fill valves outdoors without turning off the supply and its not an easy job and you always get totally soaked so I would not attempt it yourself.

if theres a meter in the ground theres normally a stop tap with it easy enough to change a washer live out doors just pick a hot day im sure some one will be along shortly to tell you how easy it is with a wet vac

Go for it just like rewashering a hot tap live but even better your outside.Open tap whilst live undo tap stem rewasher and refit making sure tap stem is in open position when tightened ,shut tap job
done nae bother

things you need.....

replacement valve
spanner
goggles
a nice hot day
trunks
towel
bar of soap.

have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing outdoor tap washer without turning off outdoor mains? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock