Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Replacing Mixer Shower help in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Mark8181

Mark8181 New Member

I'm trying to replace this old shower with a new Triton Excellente Thermostatic Mixer which I've bought. I think it's like for like swap. However when taking this old shower off, I can remove everything except for the part circled in red (and the one on other side). It's just a bracket with a small metal tube which has a nut on it. It's attached to the water pipe and is loose, but the nut doesn't seem to screw off. I'm not sure what is securing it to the pipe, and I don't want to force it off in case I damage the pipe. I would even be lazy and just attach the new shower to the part circled in red, but the new shower has it's own nut attached to it.

Can anyone explain how I can remove this? and also if this whole job is doable for someone with zero plumping experience?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

When you remove the old shower. Is there any movement in the pipework? Left to right and pulling forward?

3. Craig Watson

Craig Watson GSR Top Contributor!!

There will be an olive holding those nuts on the pipe. You can sometimes remove them but most times you need access to the olive to cut it off. If the pipes are burried in the wall and you have no chance of replacing them if you damage them, I would remove the nuts from the new shower and reuse the old ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark8181

Mark8181 New Member

Thanks for responding. There doesn’t seem to be, it seems secure enough. there’s just an inch or so of the pipe sticking out and that silver part is attached. It’s a bit loose but doesn’t seem to screw or pull off. Not sure if it’s just a build up of limescale inside or if it’s secured somehow.

5. Harvest Fields

Bet his old ones are 1/2” or 15mm and the new will be 3/4 or 22mm which will mean he cannot.

6. Harvest Fields

I would measure the pipe sticking out the wall before you actually do anything and see how much the new shower needs. Just incase there isn’t enough poking out.

7. Mark8181

Mark8181 New Member

The nuts on the new one are bigger in size. I tried taking them off before but there was no obvious way to do it.

AC8EDC58-5C70-41A9-85A8-660BC5606FC9.jpeg

8. Craig Watson

Ah, that changes things, didn't think to Google the shower before commenting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mark8181

Mark8181 New Member

I’m happy to get a professional in to do it, just wanted to give it a try if it was straight forward enough. I’m also not sure how to isolate the water to the shower, so if I break the pipe and can’t reattach the old shower, there’ll be water gushing out until I get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Harvest Fields

Can you show me the fittings that screw onto the bigger nuts please mate.

11. Craig Watson

12. Harvest Fields

Where are you located mate?

13. Harvest Fields

Great minds mate

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mark8181

Mark8181 New Member

5EA3C48E-FEE7-411F-AE88-2FE696C88ACE.jpeg

15. Harvest Fields

Awesome. You should be ok. Just do not loose the pipes inside the wall.