Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing existing radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm considering replacing my existing radiators which are almost 40 years old. Firstly is it worth replacing my existing radiators with new ones? How much more effective are new radiators and how long are they expected to last. I've got old pipework and some old valves. They could do with being replaced, but I don't want to replace them and have to do it again on ten years. Thanks Andrew

Newer style radiators generally have more fins and surface area so give out more heat
They are made with thinner metal then old style radiators but and good quality item will have 10 years guarentee

Radiators will last almost indefinitely if system is done correctly and has inhibitor added to it, particularily if on a sealed system.
New radiators will have convector fins, which your 40 year old rads might not. Therefore the output will be more in relation to size so radiators can be more compact.
The boiler will be able to heat the rooms quicker and at a lower temperature setting on the boiler stat if the rads output is calculated correctly.

As above generally new radiators will be more efficient look much better and in alot of cases be a bit smaller , life expectancy at least 10years + the system will still need cleaning thoroughly , and a good quality inhibitor added. Cheers kop

As above generally new radiators will be more efficient look much better and in alot of cases be a bit smaller , life expectancy at least 10years + the system will still need cleaning thoroughly , and a good quality inhibitor added. Cheers kop
remember that old rads are not always the same length as new ones
so a bit of pipe mod is usual and there are kits for this. and DONT clean system 1st take off rads flip them upside down real quick before you take them out . take the crap out inside them then flush system. the crap inside also makes them weigh more when you weight them in at scrappy do dar

Thanks everyone, I've got microbore? Do they'll be some pipework to be done. The replys are interesting, I'm gonna get my 7 radiators replaced. It's time to update, the pipework is looking tired and 6 trvs would be beneficial. Not sure what sort of price it will cost. How often should inhibitors be added? Thanks

Thanks everyone, I've got microbore? Do they'll be some pipework to be done. The replys are interesting, I'm gonna get my 7 radiators replaced. It's time to update, the pipework is looking tired and 6 trvs would be beneficial. Not sure what sort of price it will cost. How often should inhibitors be added? Thanks
Radiators are cheap, trvs are what you want to pay, inhibitors checked each year 'I've got microbore' sound like a disease and if it is working and not gummed up carry on with it. Micro bore can look untidy but stick it in plastic electrical trunking and its fine. you can bend and manipulate microbore to fit new rad sizes. How much ? you can get and price the rads and valves and chemicals from Toolstation or screwfix (cheap) and pay a good plumber (gas man not needed) to do it for a fixed price Job Done in my opinion

Thanks everyone, I've got a quote which I'm happy with. I've been sorting a few things recently and noticed some rust on my existing radiators. Will a power flush defenatly be required as I'm now worried about pin holes. The last flush on the system was ten years ago. After installation how often should inhibitor be added? Thanks

On my way out for an hour and haven’t got time to read all this, sorry if some isn’t relavent.
1- If fitting new rads I would change the boiler at the same time (unless this is new).
2- I would also upgrade all pipework if this is also 40 years old.
3- If connecting new rads to old pipework and old boiler I would powerflush it all first.
4- If changing everything no need to powerflush as everything would be new. (Normal magnacleanse flush or proper hot and cold flush would do).
5- Do not be tempted to run the new in plastic, use 22mm and 15mm copper for a good quality install.

I'm having a greenstar Worcester Bosch fitted at the same time. Was just wondering about the trvs as only three of my old radiators have them at the moment. Don't really want one in the hallway where the thermostat is if it's the wrong thing to do. Thanks

I'm having a greenstar Worcester Bosch fitted at the same time. Was just wondering about the trvs as only three of my old radiators have them at the moment. Don't really want one in the hallway where the thermostat is if it's the wrong thing to do. Thanks
You are correct if the stat is located in the hall there should only be standard rad valves

Thanks again, there will be new rads and boiler. Can't afford to replace all of the pipework, hopefully it will be ok. The old Radiators get hot but I think it's time for a change. Yes the thermostat is located in the hallway. What happens if a trv is fitted to the hallway radiator?

Pointless as trv and stat counteract each other. Apart from the cost of replacing the pipework it is the upheaval and general mess resulting which is another reason to stick with the existing pipework. Well is in my opinion.

Thanks again, there will be new rads and boiler. Can't afford to replace all of the pipework, hopefully it will be ok. The old Radiators get hot but I think it's time for a change. Yes the thermostat is located in the hallway. What happens if a trv is fitted to the hallway radiator?
I would flush the system before any new stuff goes in.

So all in all is it worth replacing my existing radiators? I'm concerned that it might lead to some problems with the pipework etc. Do the pluses from the new Radiators out weigh the negatives from the old Radiators? Obviously I don't want to replace them and then regret it. After 40 years my old radiators are still working ok, although they are showing signs of their age. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks Andrew

If there showing signs of rust they need to be replaced

Thanks, thought so. There's been some rust on a few of them. Speaking to a plumber tomorrow. Trying to buy the materials myself then pay a plumber to fit them. Are there any plumber's from Worcestershire on here?

Thanks, thought so. There's been some rust on a few of them. Speaking to a plumber tomorrow. Trying to buy the materials myself then pay a plumber to fit them. Are there any plumber's from Worcestershire on here?
You may find that the plumber / heating engineer can save you some money. Sometimes we are cheaper on materials than if you purchased them yourself.

Thanks, makes sense as your in the trade. I've got some cash for the labor but want to pay for the materials using my 0%credit card. Not sure if any plumber's would do that. If anyone is local let me know.

Thanks

Reply to Replacing existing radiators. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock