Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing central heating plastic pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just trying to obtain some advice.I need to peplace the plastic pipe work which is under the screed in living room,as despite chemicals and powerflushing they are still blocked.
They seem to be clad in the grey foam type insulation,from what I can see,with copper rad tails.Has anyone tried 'pulling' a length out and re-threading a new one? rather than cutting up the whole floor.Its not floor coverings im bothered about just the mess and labour.Obviously as I don't know position of pipes there could be bits joined on --hence my next question
Also has anyone ever used an infrared camera to get an idea about pipe positions before cutting screed
many thanks

get second opinion. seems unlikely that blockage would be that severe. when powerflushing, did you isolate that section from the rest of the system? if you can isolate, Fernox and most manufacturers do a more severe cleaning product.
Have also used 6mm drain cleaning wire on some jobs to dislodge and break up a blockage, depends on access.
Sometimes blockage is just a thin crust where there is a tee to that section, which can be broken up. Have known a sharp tap with a block of wood to do the trick, again depends on whether you can find the branch tee that feeds that section.

Is it just underfloor heating loops, or are they pipes feeding radiators?

Thermal imaging camera would work, but only if if floor is colder and pipes are hotter, so of course you would have to get heat circulating in pipes first in order to show up!

get second opinion. seems unlikely that blockage would be that severe. when powerflushing, did you isolate that section from the rest of the system? if you can isolate, Fernox and most manufacturers do a more severe cleaning product.
Have also used 6mm drain cleaning wire on some jobs to dislodge and break up a blockage, depends on access.
Sometimes blockage is just a thin crust where there is a tee to that section, which can be broken up. Have known a sharp tap with a block of wood to do the trick, again depends on whether you can find the branch tee that feeds that section.

Is it just underfloor heating loops, or are they pipes feeding radiators?

Thermal imaging camera would work, but only if if floor is colder and pipes are hotter, so of course you would have to get heat circulating in pipes first in order to show up!

usual story.Only discovered best practice after the event!
I had thought aboput trying to thread one of those drain wires,i assume i would have to drain all system down in case there was a sudden water release.
when you say isolate the area do you mean turn all other working rads off
seems alot of powerflush companies claim it can unblock a heating pipe

Yes where the pipework comes from and goes to , i very much doubt you will be able to remove the pipes and replace them under the floor , it would be better to try removing the radiator and blasting the under ground pipes through with mains cold water replace the rad valves and flush through the the radiator before refitting if this fails then abandon the under ground pipework and repipe from above . Cheers kop

Reply to Replacing central heating plastic pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Our house was built in 2007 and we are the second family to live here - moving in in 2017. The central heating has been working fine - although the gas boiler is perhaps nearing the end of its life. But the boiler is not our current issue. Last winter two of the radiators did not heat up and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat up but they are all connected via what I assume is Hep2O nothing is labled on the pipes that route behind the rad just on the flap behind the rad...
Replies
Views
I am sizing the central heating pipes for a complete replacement. The property has an elongated floor plan so I have used a piping layout consisting of single flow and return headers running the length of the property and take-offs to and from radiators. Currently there is a combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock