Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Replacing Bristan-piston in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Ncraze

Ncraze New Member

Morning all,

Our Bristan Java Thermostatic Shower has been leaking, we've replaced the cartridge but it was still leaking. On further inspection we found that the hot water piston was 'sticking' and would not compress and retract easily.

We've bought the replacement pistons as well as the bristan maintenance tool to remove the pistons. This tool proved to be useless, as the pins fell out of the tool on first use. I've tried using some long nosed pliers to to turn the piston but it simply won't budge.

I'm desperate for any advice on how to remove the piston. I've attached some images for reference. I'd be grateful for any help.

20190504_090710.jpg

20190504_090719.jpg

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Longshot , take it off and try wd40 or white vinegar , leave it soaking for as long as poss.

3. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Plumber

Drive two masonry nails through a length of timber leaving yourself a nice long handle for leverage- has worked for me in the past.