Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing bathroom basin tap gland - wrong thread type? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all, merry christmas.

I'm trying to replace a tap gland in our bathroom, apparently not as simple as I thought.

Old taps, can't find the brand, probably 15-20 years at least.

I bought a washer seat grinding/facing tool, and a new tap gland (from Wickes and Homebase).

The grinding tool screws in just fine. The gland however won't thread; I've tried being a bit heavy with it, no joy. Not cross threaded, the tool goes in no effort every time; the gland, nope. I presume the thread is BST, but all my knowledge on this is through googling today.

The pitch looks the same on the facing tool and the gland. However the crest of the thread is sharp and pointy on the tool, and there is quite a rounded, almost flattened crest on the tap gland thread.

I can post pics if it will help. I actually bought two different types of tap gland (one ceramic and one washer-type. Both the glands use this 'blunter' thread.

Is there something about the thread type i'm missing? I can't see anything about this thread shape/contour from browsing the web.

Thanks for any help!
Jon

Evening all, merry christmas.

I'm trying to replace a tap gland in our bathroom, apparently not as simple as I thought.

Old taps, can't find the brand, probably 15-20 years at least.

I bought a washer seat grinding/facing tool, and a new tap gland (from Wickes and Homebase).

The grinding tool screws in just fine. The gland however won't thread; I've tried being a bit heavy with it, no joy. Not cross threaded, the tool goes in no effort every time; the gland, nope. I presume the thread is BST, but all my knowledge on this is through googling today.

The pitch looks the same on the facing tool and the gland. However the crest of the thread is sharp and pointy on the tool, and there is quite a rounded, almost flattened crest on the tap gland thread.

I can post pics if it will help. I actually bought two different types of tap gland (one ceramic and one washer-type. Both the glands use this 'blunter' thread.

Is there something about the thread type i'm missing? I can't see anything about this thread shape/contour from browsing the web.

Thanks for any help!
Jon

Ok, after examining the threads again, I might be wrong - the thread pitch on the replacement glands looks a little coarser than the seized up gland. Was there an different standard a few years ago? And if so, how come the griding tool fits just fine?

Is the thread starting in the tap base?

Have you compared the length of the old verses new tap insert?

Is the thread starting in the tap base?

Have you compared the length of the old verses new tap insert?

Yes, doesn't like the problem is that the gland is too long and bottoming out. I've actually removed the washer section from the bottom of the new gland, and still have the same problem. I've tried to attach a photo of the two side by side. The replacement is the one without a washer.
Really looks like the thread pitches are different to me know, as well as the thread crests being flatter.

tapgland.png

Odd that you have different threads on old taps.
New taps you will need, but you could repair the old works by dismantling them and lubricating the works with Vaseline or silicone grease

Odd that you have different threads on old taps.
New taps you will need, but you could repair the old works by dismantling them and lubricating the works with Vaseline or silicone grease

Pegular 1010 taps ???

Pegular 1010 taps ???

Now that I took another look, the works are Peglers.
I hadn't noticed the clearly marked "Peglers" :)
Maybe is the 1010 works. Think you can get adaptor bushings for them, but I never use them as vary of the works unscrewing when tap turned full on

What is a Peglers 1010? Sounds like something historical that I feel the need to know.

Do these old Peglers have different screw threads?

No chance of cleaning up the glands unfortunately as I mangled the fitting on top of one of them trying to free them up. I'll have to visit the plumbing shop tomorrow anyway.

Find a good plumbing merchant that stocks several inserts. Take in the head and the gland. These are still available from the right place.

Find a good plumbing merchant that stocks several inserts. Take in the head and the gland. These are still available from the right place.

Thanks, did this. They didn't have anything that matched the old thread, tested it by screwing it into a sample and agreed it was a different thread. Rather than muck around with the old taps and trying to source old components, I fitted new taps. Way less hassle and thankfully was straightforward.
Thanks all for the help!

Sorry, the new one says BS and as it's the size and shape it is can only be 5412, but zoom in to the Pegler.

Ah, I get you. I thought you meant the BS1010 taps on the Pegler website said 5412 on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing bathroom basin tap gland - wrong thread type? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock