Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing basin taps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I've got a couple of Basin taps to replace, once again they are old 1970's taps. I've never replaced basin taps before. I've got a basin wrench, I'm presuming you undo the holding nut, then undo the nut from the pipe to the tap thread. Then take the tap out, do I have to put anything on the thread(pdf tape?) in case of any leaks? Then do everything in reverse, will the new basin tap thread be the same as the old one? Thanks

Yes, half inch thread on basin taps. If you have copper tap connectors, change the half inch fibre washer inside them. Turn the mains off and make sure the water is drained down unless there is isolation valves on the pipework. Undo the 1/2” nut first then the tap back but. I would use a tap but box spanner not a ducks foot (I do not like them)

The taps might just have a nut and olive onto the pipe as the connection.
That would hopefully just need a smear of paste and tighten to new taps.
You will know if you have just the compression connection as you will just see pipe into the nut, whereas a tap fitting will be obvious as a soldered fitting.
Note that some new taps are made to suit a tap fitting, as not tapered where olive goes

Really? I thought that was the old putty they used. Understood PM's composition made it impossible to set...

I'll take your word for it, it still can be a right Thomas Watt. Do all the hard work underneath to find the tap still won't budge.

Beware! sometimes the new tap tails (threaded part) are shorter than the old and if the copper feeds are really rigid you can't 'stretch' them enough to reach the new tap (so near yet so far :mad:). End up cutting back the 1/2" copper feeds and extending just for that extra 10-15mm......:(

I'll take your word for it, it still can be a right Thomas Watt. Do all the hard work underneath to find the tap still won't budge.

Gotta be careful don't use too much force underneath, could crack the nostalgic basin and the m'lady is not pleased - to say the least :D

Had a few where I've angle ground the tap spout off, then the tap top before carefully cutting the remains into quarters before tapping them out gingerly with hammer and screwdriver.

LIKE :cool:

Beware! sometimes the new tap tails (threaded part) are shorter than the old and if the copper feeds are really rigid you can't 'stretch' them enough to reach the new tap (so near yet so far :mad:). End up cutting back the 1/2" copper feeds and extending just for that extra 10-15mm....:(

I always cut back and stick iso's on. Means I can get the water back on asap and get a cuppa tea.

Beware! sometimes the new tap tails (threaded part) are shorter than the old and if the copper feeds are really rigid you can't 'stretch' them enough to reach the new tap (so near yet so far :mad:). End up cutting back the 1/2" copper feeds and extending just for that extra 10-15mm....:(

Yes, that is with old taps from before about 1970, which had longer tails.

So it might not be a straight swap, suppose I'll only find once I've taken the old tap off? Will there be a washer and a olive on the tap tails? What happens if I can't remove the olive? Thanks Andrew

They'll either be an olive 'under' a compression nut or a swivel nut with a red fibre washer 'under' (trying to put it in layman's terms). Q: Does the pipe go straight into the "nut" on the bottom of the tap OR is there a soldered or compression joint just before the pipe reaches the tap?

The tails are to short on the new taps, about an inch. Got the cold tap off today and discovered the problem. What's the best solution? Buy taps with longer tails? I'm a tea man with no sugar. There is a soldered joint just before the pipe reaches the tap.

Cut back. Fit isolation valves. Short bit of copper and a 15mm x 1/2" flexible connector.

Do not kink or bend or twist it whilst tightening up the flex connector.

Reply to Replacing basin taps. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock