Search the forum,

Discuss Replaced toilet fill valve - now pipe is leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barsbeh

Hey all,

Amateur DIYer here, very much on a learn as you go type curve. Gotta start somewhere!

I replaced the toilet fill valve today as the old one was broke. Got it in, sealed properly and what not and its working perfectly. However, when the inlet pipe is turned on, there's a drip coming. Turn the water off, and after about 10 seconds the drip stops, so I'm guessing its the inlet pipe.

One side has a washer, but the other doesn't and I honestly don't recall seeing a washer on it when I took it off.

The new filler valve had a slightly shorter stem than the old one, so I had to get an extension for that, which is screwed directly onto the stem, then a coupling nut secures the inlet pipe to the extender.

So, my question is: is it likely to be the extender, or is it likely to be a washer issue? The drop is definitely coming from extension area, as if I put my finger to block water, it stops between my finger and the extension. Any advice would be greatful! Can provide photos etc as needed.

So it's not running down from the nut connecting / securing it to the cistern?

If it's not did you use some pfte on the threads before you put the male to female iron on ?

If no there's your problem

Also if you haven't already I would change the fibre washer in the tap connector

I didn't use PTFE no. My next plan is to get a bunch of new washers and just replace them all. I'll get some PTFE tape too and do that at the same time. For reference, this is the photo. The top nut is what connects to the extension nut:

http://i.*********/U2IXkaS.jpg

The water drip is coming from the left hand side.

Is the leak coming from above the brass fitting ?

And looks like more than a drip

I guess it's not really a drop, more a trickle when the tap comes on.

So, I'm leaving it for tonight, as I've had enough with plumbing (honestly, I don't know how you guys do it!). I'm gonna pick up to PFTE and new washers tomorrow, replace all the washers and put tape on the threads and see how that helps.

I was also thinking, in this sort of case, would a flexi pipe be better than the current connection?

Flexi would mean removing the valve and cutting the copper further back

I guess it's not really a drop, more a trickle when the tap comes on.

So, I'm leaving it for tonight, as I've had enough with plumbing (honestly, I don't know how you guys do it!).

FYI - We do it because we love it.
We also do it to save people in your situation heart ache.

Just out of interest - ( and I'm not having a go at you )

How much time have you spent and how much money have you spent to replace the inlet valve?
Could you include the total hours it has taken you from starting the exercise to completing the exercise, including researching, travel time and doing the job.

The reason being, myself and my crew would carry these items as stock.
I would estimate the whole changeover for the inlet valve would take 20 minutes with parts on hand and ancillary parts on board.

I only want the time you've taken and the costs involved.
As stated previously - I'm not having a dig at you.

Oz-Plumber

FYI - We do it because we love it.
We also do it to save people in your situation heart ache.

Just out of interest - ( and I'm not having a go at you )

How much time have you spent and how much money have you spent to replace the inlet valve?
Could you include the total hours it has taken you from starting the exercise to completing the exercise, including researching, travel time and doing the job.

The reason being, myself and my crew would carry these items as stock.
I would estimate the whole changeover for the inlet valve would take 20 minutes with parts on hand and ancillary parts on board.

I only want the time you've taken and the costs involved.
As stated previously - I'm not having a dig at you.

Oz-Plumber

From start to finish after knowing what I needed etc (well, assuming it is just the washers & PFTE that needs doing now), about 30 minutes all told.

I did have a nightmare getting the old fill valve off, the locking nut was a pain to get a grip on. Managed it eventually with a pair of long nosed pliers.

My partners out atm, so she's picking up the washers and PFTE for me so once she's back I'll find out if I truly cocked something up

From start to finish after knowing what I needed etc (well, assuming it is just the washers & PFTE that needs doing now), about 30 minutes all told.

I did have a nightmare getting the old fill valve off, the locking nut was a pain to get a grip on. Managed it eventually with a pair of long nosed pliers.

My partners out atm, so she's picking up the washers and PFTE for me so once she's back I'll find out if I truly cocked something up

Box spanner helps

Yep, I realised that after! The pliers did the job though. The major issue throughout it all is that the space is quite small, I'm not able to to get my head under and see the nuts etc. I have been using the front facing camera on my phone where possible, but whoever installed the bathroom didn't think of space for things like that!

Well, all sorted. New washers where there were old ones, PFTE tape around the thread connecting the water inlet to the bend pipe, and around the thread on the extension nut and all good.

Have dried up around the area, and put a dry flannel under the piping to see if there's any residual dripping but it all looks good so far. Thanks guys :)

Well, all sorted. New washers where there were old ones, PFTE tape around the thread connecting the water inlet to the bend pipe, and around the thread on the extension nut and all good.

Have dried up around the area, and put a dry flannel under the piping to see if there's any residual dripping but it all looks good so far. Thanks guys :)

Toilet paper or tissues, kitchen roll is a better test for water tightness and I am sure some might say it is not a place to use PTFE, but I have been there and done it. ( as a DIYer);)

He's got an M&F tail extension piece in there that was leaking because he didn't tape it at all the first time. He did need the tape there but not anywhere else. It won't do any harm at least if he did tape up the threads on compression fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replaced toilet fill valve - now pipe is leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock