Search the forum,

Discuss Replaced PRV and still leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I suppose if the pipes from boiler froze in severe weather (highly possible if boiler is in garage or an attic), then a remote prv could end up being isolated and no use

Should have a frost stat and that wouldn’t make any difference anyway as unless it’s inside the boiler would be the same

Think of a standard heat only boiler where’s the vent connection / tee normally in the airing cupboard

Should have a frost stat and that wouldn’t make any difference anyway as unless it’s inside the boiler would be the same

Think of a standard heat only boiler where’s the vent connection / tee normally in the airing cupboard
On this instance though Shaun. It makes no sense to put the PRV where they have when they have fitted the external vessel next to the boiler. They cannot use the excuse of not having an external wall. It’s a garage, it will have at least 1.:p:p

Just one more thing, the boiler has had all components completely replaced, all the PRVs and
The hot water tank expansion vessel have been changed in the last two years.
The only two things that have not been replaced in the past two years is the red expansion vessel next to boiler and the actually hot water tank itself, could it be the hot water tank itself gone wrong?

Just one more thing, the boiler has had all components completely replaced, all the PRVs and
The only two things that have not been replaced in the past two years is the red expansion vessel next to boiler and the actually hot water tank itself, could it be the hot water tank itself gone wrong?
Unfortunately we cannot say. You will need an G3 registered engineer to tell you that.

Yes it could in theory as it is an old enamelled steel type cylinder which I bet has not had the anode replace. If the internal heat exchanger has rusted the higher pressure domestic water could be leaking into the heating water raising the pressure so the heating safety valve discharges at 3bar.
As per other, get a good G3 engineer in (& disconnect that filling loop as per Water Regs).

Last edited:
Yes it could in theory as it is an old enamelled steel type which I bet has not had the anode replace. If the heat exchanger has rusted the higher pressure domestic water could be leaking into the heating water. As per other get a good G3 engineer in (& disconnect that filling loop as per Water Regs).
The pressure in the heating doesn’t rise when off it drops.

I know what you are saying, but even on an open vented system, I always put a prv on the system, - and straight off the boiler pipes. Normally only oil systems, but also some gas.
If an open system feed and vent froze in the attic, the prv would be needed

I know what you are saying, but even on an open vented system, I always put a prv on the system, - and straight off the boiler pipes. Normally only oil systems, but also some gas.
If an open system feed and vent froze in the attic, the prv would be needed

and if the prv froze

Everything points to getting it checked out by a gas safe heating engineer, and perhaps a different one/firm who replaced the prvs. The parts have been replaced in the last 2 years but it doesn’t mean they don’t require checking - as per previous posts every service.

Last edited by a moderator:
and if the prv froze

Then there would be no open pipe safety left.
But the boiler can likely be the last system area to freeze. Pipes leaving it in a garage are usually more vulnerable to freezing first, as would vent and feed in some roofspaces.
As you said, frost stat should save the boiler

the PRV has been replaced twice in the past few months and this seems to cure the leak temporarily, however the leak is now worse and is clearly caused by a different problem. The pressure gauge rises quickly upto 3 bars, (we release the pressure manually) but then when the heating/water is off (boiler not running) it loses pressure to zero whilst it’s off. there is an expansion tank already fitted, this was replaced approx 7 years ago. Does it sound like the expansion tank needs replacing or could it be something else?

Your vessel requires charging or replacing if it won’t hold pressure also is the vessel large enough for amount of radiators that you have in property common problem is that plumbers don’t size up system correctly and fit undersized vessel additional vessel might be the answer to your problems.

Agreed, you can't cause a fault with an oversized vessel but an undersized one is likely to go wrong. If I was a betting man I'd say the same and that the vessel is undersized, lost its charge/failed or both.

Reply to Replaced PRV and still leaking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock