Search the forum,

Discuss Replace Manual Potentiometers on Boiler Controls - GSR? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say lets not. I say, I cannot. One mans competence is another mans idiot. Can I do electrics? Yes. Am I deamed competent? to some, Yes. Do I do electrics? NO. Why? Because I’m not qualified. People will do what they want no matter what is said to them. I’m just doing my bit.

Legal definitions of competence vary according to the subject. I have an HNC in electronics. I've been building things for 50 years (since I was 12) but because I have not done a part P cert I am deemed 'incompetent'. However, someone who spends three weeks on a course is deemed competent. In a court of law facing charges of manslaughter it would be what was actually 'done' rather than a piece of paper that determined my guilt or innocence.

One of the things no longer taught, is the ability to use one's knowledge to determine a correct course of action / make decisions rather than blindly follow. IMO (it's never humble) too many incompetents run our world today and stop intelligent people questioning and progressing through the FUD factor. :rolleyes:

Legal definitions of competence vary according to the subject. I have an HNC in electronics. I've been building things for 50 years (since I was 12) but because I have not done a part P cert I am deemed 'incompetent'. However, someone who spends three weeks on a course is deemed competent. In a court of law facing charges of manslaughter it would be what was actually 'done' rather than a piece of paper that determined my guilt or innocence.

One of the things no longer taught, is the ability to use one's knowledge to determine a correct course of action / make decisions rather than blindly follow. IMO (it's never humble) too many incompetents run our world today and stop intelligent people questioning and progressing through the FUD factor. :rolleyes:
It’s not that I disagree. It just the laws mate.

My above post wasn’t aimed at you mate. However now that you have commented I also need to say that the casing on a Vaillant ecotec pro is an integral part of the seal and to remove the casing you have to LEGALLY be gas safe registered. (If you are then please give your details to one of the following @ShaunCorbs @Lou or @Dan ) good luck getting an engineer to sign the boiler off knowing you are modifying it. You already sound like you know Vaillant will say no and it has nothing to do with warranty. It is to do with safety.
@ShaunCorbs am I being unreasonable here?

Yeah I know it wasn't aimed at me, but thought it could help the discussion instead of a bunch of assumptions dependent on the boiler. But you are quite correct about this particular boiler. I haven't opened it for precisely this reason, but was just looking for advice on how I would go about it on a legal standpoint. Looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth I think. Tempted to try and speak to a Vallient person, but I guess regardless of what they say it's still going to be illegal. Ah well, I will just content myself with setting up an alternative timing function as that doesn't require removing the case.

Edit: But thanks for everyone's contributions - especially H and Dave. They have been very helpful. I am in my first house so perhaps am just a tad excited for the chance to improve upon things, but last thing I want to do is anything deemed unsafe and/or illegal, so thanks for your advice.

Yeah I know it wasn't aimed at me, but thought it could help the discussion instead of a bunch of assumptions dependent on the boiler. But you are quite correct about this particular boiler. I haven't opened it for precisely this reason, but was just looking for advice on how I would go about it on a legal standpoint. Looks like it will be more trouble than it's worth I think. Tempted to try and speak to a Vallient person, but I guess regardless of what they say it's still going to be illegal. Ah well, I will just content myself with setting up an alternative timing function as that doesn't require removing the case.
If you can get it from Vaillant that it is ok. (In writing) then all you need is an engineer to remove the case and test afterwards.

If you can get it from Vaillant that it is ok. (In writing) then all you need is an engineer to remove the case and test afterwards.
But would the act of opening it to do the work by myself be illegal regardless of if I was to get some in to check it? Or is it a case of it is only illegal if put into operation before being signed off?

This is getting very somantics I think you need to pick your own path here mate. You are asking questions which have lots of decent gas engineers twitching. I think you’re lucky the thread hasn’t been closed as you are being polite but what you are asking just sounds wrong to me whatever you deem your competency. I can’t believe that Vaillant will agree to this nor would I like to be the engineer putting it back together once you’ve bastardised it

And this thread has run its course all good advice by the guys and gals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replace Manual Potentiometers on Boiler Controls - GSR? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock