Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Removing shower valve problem in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Raitis

Raitis New Member

Hello everyone!

So I got this shower valve that I need to take off, but I have tried couple of things and nothing worked... Even the plumber came he said that I might have to tear the wall open and change the whole installation, but I don`t want to do that.
    Can anyone explain me how exactly to remove it? And if it even is possible without changing the whole installation.

This is how the whole installation looks like

IMG_1460.JPG

And then we have the Valve.
    IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG

Thank you in advance,
    Raitis.

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

The front flow control needs off, and then the rear lever control off.
    The lever might screw off to reveal an Allen screw below, but by the looks of scratches on it, somebody must have tried that.
    There might be some plumbers on here familiar with similar valve

3. Raitis

Raitis New Member

That`s what I was told aswell, but I have tried to take off the front flow control, it just doesn`t budge... And then I tried to unscrew the lever, which as you can see hasn`t worked.
    I have 0 to none experience in this, so I`m struggling now.
    Thank you.

4. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

Try a bit of dw40 it may assist in the removal.

Probably got scale stuck in it.

5. Raitis

Raitis New Member

I have tried that aswell, still unable to unscrew it

6. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

Id say apply some heat to it but it’s probably not a good idea.

7. Raitis

Raitis New Member

Why is that not a good idea? What could happen if I try to do that ?

8. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

1. Start from the premise that if someone fitted it, someone else can take it off. There's bound to be a way.
    2. Have you tried unscrewing the lever for the temperature control. There might be a grub screw inside if it does come off.

9. Raitis

Raitis New Member

There was a tiny screw in the temperature lever, like really tiny, not sure if it actually does anything and if you check the pictures you can see that I have tried to get it off, but unsuccessful, the plumber tried it aswell, but it didnt come off.
    This temperature lever, should it come off by just pulling it towards me or how?
    Thank you.

10. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

1. If there's a very small Allen grub screw in the centre of the flow control knob, that may well be to set the maximum temperature and have nothing to do with removing the knobs.
    2. I was thinking of removing the handle pointing downwards in your last photo. Looks as if someone has already tried to undo it, but if it does come off it will be anti-clockwise as you look at it from underneath. I.e. if you are lying on your back looking up at it, it will unscrew anti-clockwise if it unscrews at all.
    3. Heat might help, these things get stiff and scale up over time. Try pouring a kettle of boiling water over it.
    4. Presumably you have no way of telling what make or model it is?
    5. What was covering the hole in the smaller knob which you removed to reveal the hole with, possibly, a grub screw in it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Raitis

Raitis New Member

Hi Steadyon, thank you very much, the hot water helped and I managed to get off the temperature control knob!
    It looks like this now, what would be the next step?
    IMG_1462.JPG

12. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

1. Mark the position where the outer white plastic part meets the inner white plastic part. Easier then to put it back together. (This is the maximum temperature setting).
    2. Remove the circlip / E clip immediately in front of the inner white plastic part. Small screwdriver between the shaft and the clip near the centre bar of the "E" and prise away from the shaft.
    3. Hopefully this will either allow the larger control to come off, or will at least reveal the mechanism holding it on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Raitis

Raitis New Member

I had some help from my dad and he said exactly the same things that you have said, thank you once again! I`ll show you step by step with pictures where I am now.

So I took off the circlip IMG_1465.JPG

Then I took off the white plastic and at this point my dad said that the handle should come off, but I have sprayed WD40 on it for couple of days now and tried pouring hot water on it, it just doesn`t move.. Do I just unscrew it or do I pull it out or what? Thank you. IMG_1466.JPG

14. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

Remove the E clip in your last picture. Might free it up.

15. Raitis

Raitis New Member

Done, still stuck hard as a rock.. Any other ideas?