Search the forum,

Discuss Relocating an Inspection Chamber/ New Drainage Run - Help Required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I am in need of some help/ advice regarding a project we are working on.

We are refurbishing an existing residential house and converting an adjacent shop in to a new house in Kent (Southern Water waste). The existing drainage from the house runs under the shop floor, in to an inspection chamber (located in the shop) and then out to the side lane (a private road not adopted) and in to the public sewer.

I have attached two images showing the ground and first floor plan which shows that there is currently three drains that run through the shop - a gully for rain water in the rear courtyard, the waste from a WC in the shop and the waste from the existing house via a stack which is located in what will be the demise of the new house.

The question is what the process is to move the inspection chamber to outside of the shop (we will be laying insulation and new flooring over the chamber so it will not be accessible) and whether we can make use of the existing drainage or whether we will need to fill in the old chamber, dig up the screed in the shop and lay new drainage i.e. what the cleanest way to do this is and at minimal cost.

My thought was to have the drainage from the existing house and upstairs drainage from the new house run externally in to a new man hole in the rear courtyard of the existing house and then under the shop through the existing drainage (sleeve the drain) and in to a new inspection chamber outside.

We had a drainage company quote for works and they suggested the following at £8k+VAT (ouch):

"After attending your property, I am pleased to provide a quotation for the following remedial works.
Please be aware before any works can commence, we would need to sonde & trace the drain outside, so that the scaffolding can be changed/moved before works can commence.
The toilet would also be out of use whilst works are being carried out.
Repair 1: To run rest bend into the courtyard area - 12 metres (location to be confirmed) to side alleyway through the external wall.
Repair 2: To then locate the gully line with sonde & trace.
Repair 3: To excavate down to find run outside to the side alleyway (6 metres +) .
Repair 4: To fit the rest bend at the rear of the shop (6 metres)
Repair 5: Where the three drains pass through the wall, two lintels will need to be fitted to stop pressure/load pushing onto the lines.
Repair 6: Where the three drains meet a manhole, it will also need to be fitted with a 6" rat valve.
Repair 7: All lines to be water/air tested to allow district surveyor to see.
Repair 8: Once the new drains have been installed the old manholes to be filled with the old rubble.
All drains to be fitted in UPVC plastic with 150mm pea-shingle around.
Price to include all labour, materials, machinery and removal of spoil from site.
We estimate works to take 5 - 7 days
Cost for works £7,895.00 plus VAT"

Thank you for any help received on the above

Ground Floor .png

First Floor.png

Not really sure what you want to know??? Their process sounds thorough and the price reasonable

Have you asked the drain company this as they’re the ones who have seen the site

Your water board website has a list of approved underground drainage contractors, get 3 quotes. Go from there. Make sure you're on site to offer a cup of tea and a biscuit and discuss your ideas / options with them.

Reply to Relocating an Inspection Chamber/ New Drainage Run - Help Required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Not sure if it's a plumbers job or another trade but thought I'd ask. I am installing a new toilet downstairs next to an outside wall. There is a 3 way inspection/access chamber about 1.5 metres outside this point which I plan on going into. It has one inlet in use from the upstairs WC...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with the experience I have picked up over a lifetime. I can make copper pipe runs isolaters taps sink shower etc but me and the missus have bought a small...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I'm a homeowner, not a DIYer. I have an almost 1 year old SaniCompact Comfort wall-hung toilet which has worked flawlessly until about a month ago. The last couple of times it was used, it made a loud noise and acted like it didn't want to flush. I guessed that it might be time to...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks there is a blockage. She stated she has tried various shop boought unblockers but nothing worked.... I went there and gained access to downstairs to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock