1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Relocating an Inspection Chamber/ New Drainage Run - Help Required in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. alecl1993

    alecl1993 New Member


    I am in need of some help/ advice regarding a project we are working on.

    We are refurbishing an existing residential house and converting an adjacent shop in to a new house in Kent (Southern Water waste). The existing drainage from the house runs under the shop floor, in to an inspection chamber (located in the shop) and then out to the side lane (a private road not adopted) and in to the public sewer.

    I have attached two images showing the ground and first floor plan which shows that there is currently three drains that run through the shop - a gully for rain water in the rear courtyard, the waste from a WC in the shop and the waste from the existing house via a stack which is located in what will be the demise of the new house.

    The question is what the process is to move the inspection chamber to outside of the shop (we will be laying insulation and new flooring over the chamber so it will not be accessible) and whether we can make use of the existing drainage or whether we will need to fill in the old chamber, dig up the screed in the shop and lay new drainage i.e. what the cleanest way to do this is and at minimal cost.

    My thought was to have the drainage from the existing house and upstairs drainage from the new house run externally in to a new man hole in the rear courtyard of the existing house and then under the shop through the existing drainage (sleeve the drain) and in to a new inspection chamber outside.

    We had a drainage company quote for works and they suggested the following at £8k+VAT (ouch):

    "After attending your property, I am pleased to provide a quotation for the following remedial works.
    Please be aware before any works can commence, we would need to sonde & trace the drain outside, so that the scaffolding can be changed/moved before works can commence.
    The toilet would also be out of use whilst works are being carried out.
    Repair 1: To run rest bend into the courtyard area - 12 metres (location to be confirmed) to side alleyway through the external wall.
    Repair 2: To then locate the gully line with sonde & trace.
    Repair 3: To excavate down to find run outside to the side alleyway (6 metres +) .
    Repair 4: To fit the rest bend at the rear of the shop (6 metres)
    Repair 5: Where the three drains pass through the wall, two lintels will need to be fitted to stop pressure/load pushing onto the lines.
    Repair 6: Where the three drains meet a manhole, it will also need to be fitted with a 6" rat valve.
    Repair 7: All lines to be water/air tested to allow district surveyor to see.
    Repair 8: Once the new drains have been installed the old manholes to be filled with the old rubble.
    All drains to be fitted in UPVC plastic with 150mm pea-shingle around.
    Price to include all labour, materials, machinery and removal of spoil from site.
    We estimate works to take 5 - 7 days
    Cost for works £7,895.00 plus VAT"

    Thank you for any help received on the above

    Ground Floor .png

    First Floor.png
  2. Riley

    Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Not really sure what you want to know??? Their process sounds thorough and the price reasonable
    • Like Like x 1
  3. alecl1993

    alecl1993 New Member

    I want to know if I can use the existing drain run, seal up the inspection chamber in the shop and relocate it outside or if I need to lay a whole new drain run an fill in what's there. Thanks
  4. Riley

    Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Have you asked the drain company this as they’re the ones who have seen the site
  5. king of pipes

    king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

    You need a vist from building control to verify what your options are? I very much doubt if the drainage can stay as it is I would not skimp on this it will come back to haunt you further down the line. Kop
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. WC1

    WC1 Active Member

    Your water board website has a list of approved underground drainage contractors, get 3 quotes. Go from there. Make sure you're on site to offer a cup of tea and a biscuit and discuss your ideas / options with them.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Similar Threads - Relocating Inspection Chamber Forum Date
Registration Inspection Event Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum Jul 12, 2019
1st Gas inspection what do I need? Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum Jul 1, 2019

Users found this page by searching for:

  1. inspection chamber reloacation

Users found this page by searching for:

  1. inspection chamber reloacation