Search the forum,

Discuss Relating to gas, gas rates and heat inputs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killy Bing

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey guys, just about to do my acs training in a week or so as part of my apprenticeship!

just a little thing playing on my mind

difference between heat inputs and gas rates ?

in my mind heat input is working out the kw from gas burned in two minutes(metric) or one rev (imperial)

And gas rate is gas burned per hour in m3 or ft3 per hour ?

thanks for help given

youre also welcome to thow anything at hand at me....

Billy

p.s did use search but just come up with calculation requests

HI is measures in kw and gas rate is gas used (measured in m3/hr)
there are various ways to work it out, the more complex the calculation the more anal the trainer haha

on E6 metric measure gas used in 2 mins x 30 = gas rate (m3/hr)
on E6 meter measure gas used in 2 mins x 321 = HI (Kw) then divide by 1.1 to get Net
sometimes you need one or the other sometimes both

on U6 imperial measure how many seconds it takes to burn 1ft3 of gas (one complete rev of the dial) divide 3600 (secs in 1hr) by the time taken to burn 1ft3 (this gives gas rate in ft3/hr, multiply by 0.028 to convert to kw
on U6 imperial measure how many seconds it takes to burn 1ft3 of gas (one complete rev of the dial) divide 1097/time in secs to burn 1ft3 this gives HI (in Kw) divide by 1.1 to get Net

easy peasy

Tamz it is easy for me it's carrying a 1600x600 k2 up 3 flights of stairs that I can't do now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, was remembering the calculations off the top of my head by the end of the day.

also heard it mentioned there is roughly 10.72 kw of heat in 1m3 of gas ?

so if an applience say burned 1.4m3 per hour it would make it 15.008 kw gross appliance ? Am i correct in this ?

Thanks guys, was remembering the calculations off the top of my head by the end of the day.

also heard it mentioned there is roughly 10.72 kw of heat in 1m3 of gas ?

so if an applience say burned 1.4m3 per hour it would make it 15.008 kw gross appliance ? Am i correct in this ?

if you have HI multiply it by 0.094 to give you gas rate in m3/hr
if you gas rate an appliance you then divide the gas rate by 0.094 to give you HI in kw
close enough to make a judgement on it being safe to leave on

Hi Billy,

Yes, it’s correct. 1m3 of gas will give you about 10.72kW of energy (depends where you are).
Why don’t you keep it simple, so you understand how it works?
Check your books. It’ll be: Heat Input = Gas Rate x Calorific Value.

Can you see the difference now?
I guess you know how to work out the Gas Rate.
So, 1.4m3 x 10.72 = 15.008kW you are correct again.

Top marks!

Last edited:
Get the app on your phone, no sore heads ever again!!!

no phones allowed during your acs, what you gonna do then :disappointed:

apps are ok, but every now and then, it's better to get the pencil & paper out, so you dont forget how to do it

I agree, but an app is just a different kind of scewdriver or spanner!

Thanks again guys !!!! I have the app and charts but even so, its great having all the calculations sat in your head !!!! If you forget your phone or away from your car/van but you have paper and pen to hand :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Relating to gas, gas rates and heat inputs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock