Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Red and brown plugs ..radiator fixing in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. gmartine

gmartine GSR

I think he's being serious Harvest, what do you want to use a 2"+ plug n screw for? What the cock are you fixing to the wall that requires that sort of anchorage, your Mrs' handcuffs? ;)

Seriously on the odd occasion you need some extra length, double up by cutting the flange and tapping an extra one in.
    Yes, yes, snigger, snigger I'm being serious ffs. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Edited due to me not reading the responses properly.

3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I was thinking of heavy radiators into solid walls that are perhaps with a 1/2” layer of plaster and also maybe weak wall or drilling into joints.
    A 40mm screw into a standard length plug is barely gripping.
    I punch some plugs further in past the plaster to give rawlplug chance to grip solid wall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

7mm Hole, Brown plugs, 2 1/2" 10's.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Red Plugs 2 1/2 x 10 screws

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Active Member

I'm not surprised at his test results as he drilled an 8mm hole for the brown plug, which surely should have been 7mm?
    Same as Best, i drill deeper and 'push' the plug in deep by hammering screw into it, then tighten with driver. It never fails.

What was that crashing noise...

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

5.5mm for red
    7mm for brown

8-10s for reds unless hard brick (more likely to snap / crack the brick with a 10 screw)
    10-12 for brown

around an inch setting depth for the plug

8. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Snapped a the odd screw but never cracked a brick

9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There's some Burnt hard engineering brick that don't like to be core drilled them ones snap with a 10

10. gmartine

gmartine GSR

...or when Best is using a 3" screw with 200Nm impact driver to fix a pipe clip. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. howy1

howy1 Member

I started in the trade many moons ago and all we used were rawlplugs they never let you down , one thing I do find awkward sometimes is type of screw as in the good ole days they were all tapered ie black Japaned or slotted now all seem parrellel .

12. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR