Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Red and brown plugs ..radiator fixing in the Plumbing Tools area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Phil

Phil Plumber

This is interesting, when fixing a rad I tend to not use the supplied fixings and just use my own. I use Rawlplug Uno brand as I think you get a really good grip.

Any Rawlplug nerds will find this video interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Best plugs are Fischer’s in my opinion

3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

+1 for uno, all I use .

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Never used them. What sizes do they come in.

5. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

• Like Like x 2
  6. Harvest Fields

I have some of them. They are quiet good

7. Jim Goodenough

Jim Goodenough Plumber

More than quiet good they're quite good or very good I'd say :D

8. Harvest Fields

It was late and I was quite tired :D:D:D

9. townfanjon

Not tried those , do they sell square drills .

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. townfanjon

Usual brown for 7mm holes but the next size up is 8 mm ( blue) so if the brown one isnt tight enough the blue ones fit spot on . Never seen any smaller ones but they may do them , I have never looked .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I love the Uno brown plugs and find they grip well due to the way they expand and also they work with narrower screws, like for pipe clips etc.

One thing annoys me about plugs is most of them are very short and it is silly when you want to use a 50mm or longer screw when the plugs are little more than 30mm.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I just watched most of the video.
    He didn’t need to test the plugs grip. It was obvious that the red plugs have more grip than brown if screw is heavy gauge for the red plug.
    We all know this when we try to use a hand screwdriver on heavy screws in red plugs.
    I see a lot of plumbers and electricians use mainly red plugs.

13. Harvest Fields

Why do you think that is?

14. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Then if the wall crumbles away they just bang a brown in :D

Do t have a clue Harv

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. gmartine

gmartine GSR

I've a mate (not a tradesman) who's less capable than he thinks and can't drill and plug to save his life, normally this would be grounds for divorce but he's a decent friend. Anyhow, when I've been over to help I've noticed how he does things which include using the cheapest plugs available (plain sheeth type) while also clearing out every drilled hole throughly (therefore removing most of the masonary grit and making the hole larger). I mentioned the flaw in his technique a few times as I was able to pull them out with relative ease but it seemed he took no notice. After moving in to a new home, queue a few months later and he's been to Ikea to pick up a few storage units that can be wall mounted above head height usually above a TV, stereo etc. Yes you guessed it, when fully laden the whole lot came crashing down a few hours before the start of his house warming destroying his £2.5k imac and several grands worth of music system. Tit.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rawlplug radiator fixing

Users found this page by searching for:

1. rawlplug radiator fixing