Search the forum,

Discuss recommendations for a new all electric hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there I am hoping you can help.

I am having issues with my 25 year old hot water system and considering replacement. I have a water tank that feeds the boiler through a gate valve with a howdens electric WE501 immersion heater. Pressure is good from the cold, almost non existant from the hot. I would like to get rid of the big water tank and old boiler and replace it with something more modern that will provide more pressure so I can have a bath - currently I cant because it flows so slowly. Cold water in the kitchen is mains but to the 2 colds in the bathroom it comes from the tank. Hot water comes from the tank, pressure coming from the water tank.
I'm confused about vented and unvented cyclinders and not sure what I need. I'd like to have an idea of whats required so I understand what the plumber is talking about but I cant afford to spend megabucks. Screwfix have a RM Prostel unvented direct 120 litre item product number 51564. Will this do the job?

apologies for my ignorance if this is an obvious question

thanks

You will first need to get a measurement of the flow and pressure of your water main to establish whether this type of conversion is workable. Also make sure to check any plumbers credentials as this would be a job notifiable under Building Regulations G3, i.e. not a DIY job. If your tank setup is central to your house/flat?, you may be better of with a different solutions. I am assuming you call your hot water cylinder boiler, that it is a vented cylinder with an immersion element fitted and fed by a cold water storage cistern from above either in the same cupboard or a loft?

You will first need to get a measurement of the flow and pressure of your water main to establish whether this type of conversion is workable. Also make sure to check any plumbers credentials as this would be a job notifiable under Building Regulations G3, i.e. not a DIY job. If your tank setup is central to your house/flat?, you may be better of with a different solutions. I am assuming you call your hot water cylinder boiler, that it is a vented cylinder with an immersion element fitted and fed by a cold water storage cistern from above either in the same cupboard or a loft?
yes.

according to the council website I dont need building regs

The council website will tell you that you need to use a competent person which can certify your installation, which effectively means Building Regulations will need to be certified by the installer not by their Building Control Department.

Reply to recommendations for a new all electric hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock