Search the forum,

Discuss recommendation And advice are welcome. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

O

Old Account

hi lads,

I just went today to a customer which wants me to convert his back boiler and hot water cylinder to a sealed system. He wants me to install a Vaillant 938 with 11 rads ( most of them are large 1400x600 ) and future 2 bathrooms.
He is worried that the pressure will drop significantly but I assured him due to my experience and based on Vaillant that it won’t happen and that the 938 will be fine. He is upgrading the mains water supply to 32 mdpe.
Will this type of boiler enough for future zoning? He is planning on splitting the zones in to 3 zones which are ufh downstairs, upstairs rads, downstairs rads.

However, at the moment his last radiator in the bathroom upstairs is only working half way ( vertical radiator). The difference between the F&E tank and the vertical Rad is about 10-20cm at max. Is that the problem why it doesn’t work in full?

Thank you for your help

Should still work.
System dirty, or not balanced, or not piped with big enough pipes, or pump not up to job?

Should still work.
System dirty, or not balanced, or not piped with big enough pipes, or pump not up to job?
Tha k you very much Gary. To be fair, I believe you are so right about dirty system as it never has been serviced and flushed in the last 50 years. The next thing is the central heating pipes from the boiler are starting in 22mm but after 2 m it reduces to 15mm.at the moment they only have downstairs rads and one added upstairs bathroom. The rest of the property has those old type gas heaters in the wall ( never seen them before ). Surely not balanced either. I was thinking air could be trapped too.

Don’t fit the 938 mate. I’m having a mare with one and the hot water at the minute. Boiler and unvented for me

Because the mounted 20-liter storage behind the initial boiler makes as much as a conventional 70-liter storage cylinder therefore I’m thinking it should be well enough

I believe you to be miss informed here mate.
I spoke to Vaillant a few times back in Germany and we have the same boiler but with less kw. If you scroll down you will see in the description there is clearly written what the boiler is capable off.
Wandheizgerät ecoTEC plus VCI - Produktinfos | Vaillant

However, what size of property is it? Have you spoken to Vaillant yet? For how long is that going on for and is it since the beginning?

I spoke to Vaillant a few times back in Germany and we have the same boiler but with less kw. If you scroll down you will see in the description there is clearly written what the boiler is capable off.
Wandheizgerät ecoTEC plus VCI - Produktinfos | Vaillant

But that isn’t what you said mate. You referenced to the storage vessels. They are not 20 litres. They are 15 between them. The 20ltrs refers to the possible flow rate.

Boiler 3 years old. 4 bed 1 bath 1 shower. Yes to Vaillant who can only offer possibilities and about 6 months.

But the boiler should be under a certain warranty and therefore Vaillant could come out to access the job.
To do what?? They have said unless there is a fault occuring the job is chargeable and mg customers first point of call should always be me.

To do what?? They have said unless there is a fault occuring the job is chargeable and mg customers first point of call should always be me.
That’s weird with being charged though. If you already have paid for warranty that should be all covered. There is clearly an issue with the boiler ... have you checked the pump at the back for the cylinder ? That’s one of the faults which is quite common. It’s a little bit awkward to get to but you should be able to check that.

What’s your experience with storage combi boilers? Have you fitted some before to multiple bathrooms?
No but once the 20 litres of stored hot water has gone it’s just a Vaillant 838 Combi so about 15 lpm of hot water available

When I am there it all looks like it is doing what it is supposed to mate. Only happens about once every 2 weeks

No but once the 20 litres of stored hot water has gone it’s just a Vaillant 838 Combi so about 15 lpm of hot water available
The cylinder won’t run empty. As explained earlier it’s capable of making as much as a conventional cylinder.

Runs cold then they have to turn the tap off and back on again. The only thing I can think of is the flow switch isn’t recognising the demand from store to combi

Do they have any mixer valves?
Showers, TMV's etc?
Could it be a passing valve?
You might have ruled that out already but I thought I'd mention it as I came across a similar issue the other week.

Do they have any mixer valves?
Showers, TMV's etc?
Could it be a passing valve?
You might have ruled that out already but I thought I'd mention it as I came across a similar issue the other week.
All of them. And isolated each 1 by one. All brand new as I put them in. What was your issue.

All of them. And isolated each 1 by one. All brand new as I put them in. What was your issue.

Did you try turning the cold to the Boiler off underneath and running a hot tap? there should be nothing flowing as you will undoubtedly know.

My issue was that the Hot water was running but more often than not tepid. Occasionally it was hot and OK.

The Boiler appeared to be running OK and doing what it should do and at first I suspected other things. Turned out to be a passing valve. Not always the same though due to fluctuations in pressure.

It is a 938 mate so with no taps on the stores still empty.
What do you mean?
I meant that if you turned the water off to the Boiler and water still runs from a hot tap, it must be getting in elsewhere. If that is happening, when you run a hot tap with the Boiler working, it will mix and cool the DHW. It can also out balance the hot totally and allow only cold to run, depending on the system. There will always be slightly more resistance through the Boiler than direct.

If we are talking at cross purposes, let me know?

I miss understood. When the boiler cold is isolated the 2 x storage vessels empty then the water stops is what I meant. Sorry.

The cylinder won’t run empty. As explained earlier it’s capable of making as much as a conventional cylinder.
Do you mean with a blending valve it’s the equivalent of a conventional tank?
It won’t run empty but once the 20 litres is used it just works as an 838 then reheats the cylinder when it gets chance

Reply to recommendation And advice are welcome. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock