Search the forum,

Discuss Recommend me a gas sniffer! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryster

Was up in Aberdeen on Tuesday, and I detected a smell of gas. Tightness with both incoming an outlet valves turned off showed a leak on the meter somewhere, I LDF the whole thing an still didn't find it.Anyway called out Gas Board they came out and the guy couldn't find it with his LDF so out came his sniffer he found the leak around the index sight glass in a few seconds.So after years of doing this it dawned on me.....WHY DON'T I HAVE A GAS SNIFFER!!??!?So chaps could anyone recommend one? Have just turned off some gas in Cockermouth due to a tiny drop and smell of gas but I'm struggling to find the leak on the 2" iron pipework so a sniffer would certainly help!Thanks chaps,Ryan.

It depends on how much money you're willing to spend Ryster. I was looking at the new Anton Sprint FGA with built in gas detector when it comes round to my old Testo needing re-calibrating... I've been shelling out a packet each year to have that done so thought I'd treat myself.... :smart: They're around the £700-£750.

anton snifer -£120 this is what i use + I have it build in to my analyser ( but I dont have it in the van every day so the snifer only is ideal for me )

I've got the kane gld/450 plus. it's one of the cheaper end ones at about £45
But the few times I've needed it it's worked very well.

refurbished mk1 gascoseeker can be had for around 250. weve had ours about 20 years and its amazing. those cheap bleepy types arnt a patch on these. even a 1 mb drop will pull the needle right round once you locate it and can even pinpoint as accurately to the side of the fitting that isnt soldered.
I wouldnt use anything else, besides maybe a mk2 but they are 1500 quid and i dont see how you can beat the mk1 which a lot of the old transco lads prefer.

|I remember the days of the gascoseaker............! Thought the mk2 was brilliant coz you didn't have to keep squeezin the pump!! LOL Got a pal still uses the mk1 gascoseaker .. they are a good peace of kit!!

to be honest not used the mk2, only seen one being used and the price! I've always coped with squeezing the air bulb and in 7 years I can't think of one leak that I havn't found except if it was buried in concrete or a part of the incoming gas main.

you get a free one when you call the grid out!! :)

i cant really suggest a good one, all i can advise is dont twist open the probe end on your new sniffa cus i did and it broke. :(

'boblydon' ... nice to meet a fellow geordie with good taste! R U Ex BG? A guy I work with fri gone offered me a mk2 said he couldn't get it to work. Put new batteries in it and bingo! Away it runs ... Hasn't been calibrated for eons but who cares. it sniffs and it works!! LOL

had a simliar problem last night, very small leak on pipework spent 2 hours or so sprayed every single fitting and pipe showed nothing, capped meter bought a Kane Sniffer this morning £55 found it in no time, very sensitive aswell.

had a simliar problem last night, very small leak on pipework spent 2 hours or so sprayed every single fitting and pipe showed nothing, capped meter bought a Kane Sniffer this morning £55 found it in no time, very sensitive aswell.
Kane sniffer for £55!?Which one was that then?

[DLMURL="http://www.test4less.co.uk/details.asp?productID=688"]Test4less Electrical & Gas Test Equipment Distributor - Details For Kane Leak-Sense[/DLMURL] in screw fix for £55

Last edited by a moderator:
av got a cheap testo one and my mate has a testo one but the next one up ,i also have one on my anton analyser but its to sensitive and keeps going off all the time

the one that Eco posted mate I got it from Screwfix, its sensitive anyway you breathe on it and it lights up as if their is an ID situation lol

Last edited:
Both my Sprint V2 and my older 2000TX have the gas detector built in.

For the money they are good value.

Have you considerd getting a recon FGA with gas detection built in.

Also now that a lot of Registrants are servicing A band condensing appliances, where the CO2 levels have to be checked at high and low gas rate, an FGA is becoming a neccessity, especially as Carbon Monoxide levels within the products of combustion can so easily rise to dangerous levels if miss ajusted. (Great Western Hotel fatality)

So by having an FGA which incorperates a Gas Detector can make economic sense, especially when you add up the cost of annual calibration.

Tim

This is the current instrument used by most Gas Emergency responders

Portable gas detectors, gas monitor from GMI

It can have various modules fitted or removed depending on requirements. The usual is to supply one which measures gas and not CO.

I note that someone is trying to flog an old Gascoseeker for 500 quid on ebay ! Good luck to him.

Just finished commercial gas conversion course and looking for a gascoseeker. Is there anything else on the market that will give you the percentage of gas? Or is it gascoseeker or nothing....

Time to shell out more £'s

Gasco nothing else but I wouldn't get one unless you have the work in place, you can also rent them for a week

Also it's another thing to get calibrated every year

Gasco nothing else but I wouldn't get one unless you have the work in place, you can also rent them for a week

Also it's another thing to get calibrated every year

Always used Gasco seeker !

My opinion MK1 was the best

Old hat now but never fails

Always used Gasco seeker !

My opinion MK1 was the best

Old hat now but never fails

What do you use yours for, our use is purging and testing % at appliances after turn on and yea mk1

What do you use yours for, our use is purging and testing % at appliances after turn on and yea mk1

Testing purging and commissioning or de-commissioning, Commercial pipe work, Gas Leak detection, All sorts, I use it daily. As you know it has many uses. It gives percentage of lower explosive limits for one so If there's a building smelling of gas I know whether to give it 'BIG LEGS'!

And obviously advise others whilst i'm on my way out LOL

Naa think they get the hint when the gas man is running

Also you got an attachment for gas sniffing ? Mine didn't come with one

Theres a new brand on at screwfux by a german company called nikker.
Give them a call and ask if they have any on offer still.

I got mine back in eighteen hundred and frozen to death shaun so no. I just know what's in my head unfortunately. Why is there a figure you're looking for or am I on the wrong wavelength again ?

I got mine back in eighteen hundred and frozen to death shaun so no. I just know what's in my head unfortunately. Why is there a figure you're looking for or am I on the wrong wavelength again ?

????????????????????????????

What attachments did you mean ?
I've misunderstood you Shaun.
I thought you were asking for a set of instructions for Gasco Seeker !

Ignore me !

No what attachment do you use for gas dection (only got a tube)

No what attachment do you use for gas dection (only got a tube)

Oh right. No just tube. Always used just tube.

If you need it longer or rigid put some pilot tube inside the end

It's that thick neoprene type stuff...... Only the best will doodle doo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommend me a gas sniffer! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock