Search the forum,

Discuss Really? Whats the point? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveSussex

Anyone else had the gas inspector come round to see if they can actually do a tightness test? What is the point? You spend thousands of pounds getting through the exams, creating a portfolio, getting registered, spending thousands on taking digferent modules and paying for registration and then you have to prove to the gas inspector that you can actually do stuff. The stuff you`ve just spent months learning and demonstrating in college. It really is utterly pointless.

They dont just check you for that pal , they are weighing you up in all aspects of the job. They suss you out in 5 mins .

not for the people who are doing short courses

week one there a office worker
week siz there a gas installer

also they get to see how you work and get a good ideal if you a decent engy or a bad one

not for the people who are doing short courses

week one there a office worker
week siz there a gas installer

also they get to see how you work and get a good ideal if you a decent engy or a bad one

they only get to see you work if youve actually done any. I havent.

And thats only if you want to show them stuff youve done. Either youve passed your exams and built a portfolio and jumped through all the required hoops or you havent. And if you dont suck up to them and "persuade them" that you are half competent, they cancel your registration.

They dont just check you for that pal , they are weighing you up in all aspects of the job. They suss you out in 5 mins .

Ive got pretty much no idea but Im still registered. I can still go out and do all sorts. Doesnt mean I know what im doing. And if I can, then so can anyone else.

Steve , I cant see a problem , they come out to meet you , suss you out , start a relationship , after all they are going to be your inspector . We all have to do it . I bet your inspector loves your attitude.

What is a tightness test for....... To test your work or to test an installation, it is the basic thing you need to know to make sure what you are doing is safe.

I say that because they know you can pass the exam, but what they dont know is if you can do the basics outside a classroom, things are never the same when you leave the exam.

What is a tightness test for... To test your work or to test an installation, it is the basic thing you need to know to make sure what you are doing is safe.

I say that because they know you can pass the exam, but what they dont know is if you can do the basics outside a classroom, things are never the same when you leave the exam.

Dont think anyone was asking what a tightness test is for. I was taking exception at having to suck up to an inspector and questioning the point of it. Ive already proved I can do what I need to. And paid thousands of pounds for the privelege.

Steve , I cant see a problem , they come out to meet you , suss you out , start a relationship , after all they are going to be your inspector . We all have to do it . I bet your inspector loves your attitude.

Going to be my inspector? You mean I have to form a relationship with this person? Ive got no interest in his views. Ive proved myself already, regardless of what he thinks. Thats how I got registered.

Dont think anyone was asking what a tightness test is for. I was taking exception at having to suck up to an inspector and questioning the point of it. Ive already proved I can do what I need to. And paid thousands of pounds for the privelege.
Read my post Steve, im answering the question you asked, the inspector wants to see you do the basics in the field without the back up of a college tutor, with regards to paying thousands join the club who doeant?

On a side note on your next inspection they will want to see a whole lot more!

Going to be my inspector? You mean I have to form a relationship with this person? Ive got no interest in his views. Ive proved myself already, regardless of what he thinks. Thats how I got registered.
Well its probably meant for those people who haven't managed to get so much experience during their training and are going to continue learning long into there careers. You will probably be OK as you've gained so much knowledge so won't need to build a relationship with your inspector. Like wise relationships with suppliers and customers are probably over rated as well. Hope you do well

yep you will see him every 3-5 years so best to keep on good terms

Steve , I obviously dont know you, but if you want some seriously friendly advice , I would drop your attitude with your potential inspector. ( thats me done on this thread )

The inspector will also be the person who pops out to see any jobs you receive complaints from too. Unfortunately some people in life are always worth buttering up and keeping happy. He is one you will want to make cups of tea for etc :)

Just be grateful you don't do electrical work too, otherwise that's another inspection every year too :/

Steve take on board what the guys say theres no point taking that attitude , you will have to prove yourself in front of a inspector fact ! we all have to, show your skills prove your a good installer they can make it very difficult and expensive for you if you dont and the first one you have they will find faults its there job to chill out kop

At the moment you have not done any installs, so he can't check that. So it's the basic stuff.
However, get his back up and in a few months when you are registering installs, they will go and inspect those jobs. So make sure they are correct!
What's the harm in being polite and getting through. He won't touch your work again for 5 years. Upset them with your " I know everything " attitude, and they will be in your back.

It's your choice.

There are some training centres that pretty much guarantee an acs pass if you pay your money, does that mean you can carry out the basic tasks that you potentially learned during 4 weeks of classroom based training.
Inspectors are there to check that you are not of of these people, and if you haven't done any gas work since passing your acs, what are you doing to keep your skills sharp?
Inspectors are also there to offer advice and guidance, can they remove your registration? Absolutely if you are useless! If you are lacking in some areas they can offer advice, recommend technical bulletins etc.
If you read the rules of registration, you will find that allowing inspections is something you sign up for.
Also most inspectors can suss out if you know what you're talking about in five minutes flat

Why should you not have to prove yourself to the guy? I did my resits at college last year and there was a guy there who was doing first time assessment and he was struggling with a TT and he was supposedly ready to sit his exams. He may have gone away at lunch and studied it and scraped by not really understanding it. All they are asking is you to show that you at least understand and know how to do the very basic of tasks like gas rate, TT, Flue Gas etc etc. It is for customers and your own safety. Would you let someone use your company name without meeting them first? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Really? Whats the point? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock