Search the forum,

Discuss RDB lockout, ignition sound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Grant Vortex outdoor boiler with RDB 2.2 burner. Intermittent lockout is occuring. Starts from cold always, but stops running after a couple of hours (house is still calling for heat). The burner stops, sits idle for a period then attempts restart. Sometimes it restarts, sometimes not. Photocell has been replaced but to noavail.

When the burner goes through the restart sequence the motor spins up, 12 second delay then (when it doesn't restart) you can hear what I presume is the solenoid being activated but no click of ignition. When it does start you hear a click and the whoosh of ignition.

Question is should you always hear a click when ignition is attempted? And the fact I'm not hearing when it fails to start point to control box failure?

It seems to occur after the burner has been running for longer as if heat/duration causes something to breakdown.

Thanks.

Oil engineer.

Ideally yes, but this is not a good week ahead - then xmas. Hence my having to look at it myself. Just looking to understand the sequence to see if I can diagnose / sort myself. I have followed the RDB fault chart and it follows to a control box fault, I'm just looking to double check that.

My guess is it hasn’t been serviced recently?
Get a good oil engineer in to sort it.
I am going to 2 oil boilers today and only got the calls today, so you can surely get someone like me?
I think I already know the fault in your burner, although without seeing it I am just going by experience and probability

Suffolk. It is indeed due a service, I was hoping to leave til spring to make it a better time of year to be working on it.

Annoyingly it played up about 4 weeks ago, but I replaced the timer controller as it kept locking up with hive and it immediately started behaving til now.

Hi,

Question is should you always hear a click when ignition is attempted? And the fact I'm not hearing when it fails to start point to control box failure?

Thanks.

The click is normally the solenoid opening and letting fuel through to the nozzle, if the click does not happen (solenoid fails to open) then no fuel gets through and ignition fails.

What Burner is it?

Reply to RDB lockout, ignition sound in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock