1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss rat ate through a soil vent pipe in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Any advice to repair not replace... please! It's obviously in the tightest space and in the smelliest tiny room. As in RIP ratty. It's also on the joint of a 100"-90" reducer!
    Was thinking fibreglass wrap?

2. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Whatever way you repair bear in mind rats usually head towards light sources and will eat way through thin pipe walls if they can see light thro it. Thus the thin flexi pan connectors let light thro and are prone to being gnawed through. So your repair ought to be light proof, ie thick and wrap some chicken wire into the fibreglass eg. Rob Foster
    aka centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Active Member

You can get rat gates for sewers, never fitted one myself. May be worth some research to see if they lead to blockages.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. CBW1982

CBW1982 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Denso tape?

5. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Active Member

At least if the Denso tape doesn’t stop the rat it will give it some form of hideous disease :):)

I hate that stuff, didn’t even know they still made it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Rob Foster

McAlpine market an anti rodent trap and they are a reputable outfit. its an easy fit
    when coupled with their pan connector. centralheatking

• Like Like x 1
  7. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Pics?
    Rat blockers can work but that horse has bolted.
    Also they need to be installed carefully (usually on last i/c before main), and all rats upstream of the blocker need sending to the great sewer in the sky and all other potential access points into the upstream area need blocking (cracked pipes, dry traps etc.).
    A fernco over the hole might temporarily stop the rats seeing and smelling a way out while you consider your options. (but clearly they will chew through if so minded)

8. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Yeah I tried to add pics but they wouldn't load... Will try again. Hopefully rat catcher will sort the rats.

9. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

10. Rob Foster

Just go mad with fibreglass matting, some chicken wire. It does not need to look pretty. If thats the stink pipe going upwards carefully stuff some chicken wire in the pipe in a ball as well. Get an air pistol and have some fun. If you live near Ormskirk my mate lends his little dog out overnight he is
    very effective on vermin.
    centralheatking

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Sorry mate, customer needs to pay you to cut that out and replace. You'll be in the stink later on personally if it floods because of a bodge...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steve weightman

Steve weightman GSR

Cut pipe replace reducer ,replace pipe with a straight slip coupling

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

I see your issue here its all glued fittings and with limited access it needs sorting though let the client make the decision. Kop

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Client wants the cheapest option of course! I made a bespoke ali plate and attached it with jubilee clips and then covered it in a setting compound! Not easy , let alone the stink of dead rat still in my nostrils today- smelt like the stinkest cr*p ever!! arghh, i gagged several times. Plus, i was in such a twisted position that I've probably done an injury- blood sweat and gristle, for a few bucks- WHY?
    I'll try a few more photo's when I get a chance...

• Like Like x 2
  15. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Ok then but I'd be making well sure it is clearly documented the repair spec'd by cust. was against my advice if I were you...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1