Discuss Random clanking from cold water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

At random times throughout the day there is a loud banging coming from what I believe are the the coldwater pipes. It's not a central heating issue as it was happening prior to our boiler being reconnected, and it's not to do with flushing the toilet as I've heard it on coming into the house having being out all day. It always seems to bang in the same area and wasn't an issue before we had the extension. The plumbers is shrugging his shoulders and I'm left not knowing what to do. Any ideas as to what is causing this and how it can be resolved would be great. Thank you

could be pipes not clipped etc

Hi, sorry to sound daft but how do I go about finding that out? The ceiling has been boarded now. As far as we can remember they just went through the holes in the joists, I'd have to ask the builder.

Yes ask the builder or the trades people he used.

You could lift the floor boards in the room above if possible.

What type of joists have been used ?

It's a single storey flat warm roof so I don't think that is possible, i'll have to ask the builder. The first plumber went awol so I think resolving this problem is going to be tricky. I was hoping it was something we could sort ourselves. If it is missing clips is it something that needs putting right as it will it cause damage over time or is it more an annoyance more than anything?

Ok. Unfortunately it's a warm flat roof so we wouldn't be able to lift floor boards and the builder had to use two plumbers as the first went on holiday and never returned!). I was hoping it might be a problem we could resolve ourselves but it doesn't sound like it. If we decide to live with the annoying noise, ( which is not ideal, but we have redecorated everywhere thinking the noise would go when the boiler was connected) will it cause any damage to the system etc?

I don’t think it will cause any issues but if it keeps rubbing it may corrode and leak (long term).

Do you have and loft hatches you could get in to and try to sort the alternative option would be to repipe it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. Unfortunately the new extension (which I'm guessing is where the problem resides as we didn't have the issue before it, and is also where the noise comes from) is single storey and fibreglass flat roof. In my mind it sounds like the only way for it to be rectified is to pull down the ceiling job which I can't face after 4 months of upheaval. :(. Sounds like I'm going to have to live with it, a tad annoying given how much we've spent having the work done.

Sorry, just re read your post. Are you suggesting it could be 're piped instead of trying to find the pipes which haven't been clipped? and can this be done without pulling the ceiling down?
Be great to think there is a less drastic solution!

I don't know what shared supply means. I think I'll now have the conversation with the builder as to how to proceed. Thanks for the help you have given. I now feel I can discuss this with him with a little more knowledge so hopefully won't be fobbed off!

Shared supply means is the cold water mains shared with a neighbor that may be causing the issue.

For example I had a customer with similar issue banging pipes but it only happened on certain days. After contacting the water board it turned out to be a shared supply the neighbor would be using the washer and my customers would be getting the noise issue.

Reply to Random clanking from cold water pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back