Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators not fully heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, would appreciate some advice please with a central heating issue, please.

The background....

We moved into our 1981 built house in 96, at that time a standard 3 bedroom end terrace with a Potterton boiler. In 2001 we added a side extension, with a family room, utility room and toilet. For the next few years this family room with its well insulated walls and large rad was the warmest room in the house.

In 2009 we had our attic converted into a bedroom and shower room. As part of this work our old Potterton boiler was replaced with a Vokera 29HE Compact combo boiler. Over the next few years we noticed a drop off in the performance of the family room rad until earlier this year it was virtually cold. In the spring I raised this with a heating company who recommended a power flush.

Since that power flush and colder weather now, it’s only recently we have fully fired up the central heating. And now most of the downstairs rads are struggling to generate heat, even with thermostat and lock shield valves fully open. Upstairs is fine though.

I’ve tried balancing the system. The lock shield valves on all the upstairs rads are not even open a full turn. But still I’m struggling to get downstairs rads up to heat. The rad in the family room, which I suspect is at the end of the system, is stone cold.

We have 7 rads downstairs, 4 upstairs, 2 in converted attic.

I’m at my wits end now. The power flush was expensive, and I’m wary of throwing more money at the problem without sone idea of possible cause.

Thanks

Could be pump

And now most of the downstairs rads are struggling to generate heat, even with thermostat and lock shield valves fully open. Upstairs is fine though.

I’ve tried balancing the system. The lock shield valves on all the upstairs rads are not even open a full turn.

Balancing
1. Start with all TRV heads removed and any wheel valves fully open.
2. Set all LS valves to 1/2 turn open.
3. Set room stat to a high temperature so boiler will keep running.
4. Let the system warm up
5. Check the return pipe temperatures on all rads.*
6. Close the LS valve of the hottest one by 1/12 turn
7. Wait 5 minutes
8. Repeat from 5 until all rad returns are approximately the same temperature.

* If you don't have a suitable thermometer, use your hand.

Last edited:
was just going to ask the same

Not sure to be honest. Obviously most of the pipe work is old, and I do recall a plumber once remarking that the newer pipes from the 2001 extension were narrower gauge than rest of pipes.

But the old pipe system was fine for many years, and the power flush in May should have cleared out any cr#p?

Thanks also for help re balancing, I was tackling it in opposite way so will give that a go,

I’m also going to test the upstairs rads on full blast just to check they are indeed still nice and hot. If not then sounds like could be pump?

It’s a basic system, no wall thermostat valve, just a thermostat setting on the boiler and TRVs on the rads (boiler thermostat is up to full). So was wondering if that could be a root cause?

Life expectancy of a combi is 7-10years So shes a old lady I have a few I service that are up to 12 - 15 years old and still Working , if your systems clean and a good quality inhibitor added filled vented then you should be looking at the pump in my opinion . Cheers kop

Reply to Radiators not fully heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock