Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators cold a bottom + use of sentinel x800 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taz8520

Hi all :),my mum had a new ideal boiler fitted about 6 years ago, she had quite a few problems with it since installed, one of which was a new heat exchange fitted, any way they supposedly flushed the system when installing it :/ but now most of the rads are warm at top and cold at bottom which I am guess will be down to a build up of sludge over the years?, as she hasn't got the funds for a powerflush which BG recommend, I was thinking of taking all the rads off ( 8 of them ) and flush them though with a hose or even jet washer when the weather gets a bit warmer, would that likely fix the problem ? Also can I put some sentinel x800 in the system and leave it for a week or however long would be best prior to cleaning the rads?

Many thanks Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Add a good cleaner in it and leave it for a week yes.
it is also a good idea to take them off and manually flush them out.

if its that bad, it can line the pipework reducing its diameter.

Just re read the post. Not many people have got the funds to afford to pay for a BG powerflush.
get a local recommended plumber to give you a realistic price for a powerflush

I wouldn't leave X800 in for very long mind or it'll just eat away at your radiators. I'd go with X400 as it's not as aggressive. But ye, getting a hose pipe and forcing mains water through will sort the problem out.

I did have a look at some prices some plumbers are offering and they even seem a bit to pricey at the mo :/, it wont hurt the try my diy effort first will it ? then if still has problems I will look a powerflush.

Is a week about the max time to leave sentinel x400 cleaner in the system ?

Ye you can leave X400 in the system for a few weeks, so it'll be ok for what you need.

That's great I will do that thanks :), oh and also the combi boiler when the heat setting is turned up from about 3 to 4/5 it starts to knock, would this mostly likely be down to sludge build up or the water getting to hot inside the boiler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators cold a bottom + use of sentinel x800 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The system is about 20 years old and has never been cleaned. The radiator water looks like tar and several radiators are warm at top and cold at the bottom. What would be the best steps to clean the system? I have spoken to several engineers. One only recommends a magnacleanse due to being a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hi, My step daughter was ripped off by a cowboy builder so I’ve been helping her out and fittted her two radiator. I’ve no idea what is under some of the floors or in the walls but since flushing it all out and starting the combi up she’s been having problems with her heating. She reckons the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock