Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator pipework plan for bungalow (picture) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Good afternoon,

I am a joiner, attempting plumbing work, what could possibly go wrong!!

Please see my attached picture. Pink is feed, blue is return, purple are the radiators.

We live in a bungalow with timber floors, and access underneath. Boiler is in the centre of the house with 22mm feed and return pipes going under the floor to 8mm microbore manifolds.

Our plan is to extend the 22mm pipe from the front to the back of the house, use hep manifolds and connect hep20 15mm pipework to the radiators. Reason being that we can access easily this area under the floor through a cupboard, and there are dwarf walls either side. I'd like to keep the joints to a minimum should there be any issues we can access it easily.

Another thing I was interested to know was if I screwed pipe clips to the underside of the floor joists, can I run my pipework like that when the pipes are adjacent to the joists. When parallel with the joists I will clip to the side of the joists.

In theory this makes sense to me, but I may well be very wrong so just looking for some advice please. Does the setup look ok?

Thank you in advance,

Gregor

IMG_20181028_114420.jpg

Sounds ok just remember to insulation it

Do you know what type of system you have ?

While you're at it go through the wall and heat your bathroom. Any particular reason why you've got three rads in the living room or do you really just want to make use of the every port? I'd say you don't really need a four port manifold for the living room/kitchen/bathroom branch just a couple of two ports for F&R. A

Hi Shaun,

At current it is 8mm microbore to each radiator from a manifold in the centre of the house.

The boiler is a Worcester combi.

Not sure if that is what you are asking sorry.

Thanks,
Gregor

I would renew the old 22mm pipework as well then

Not sure if my drawing is a bit confusing or if my lack of knowledge is showing through.

The 22mm copper only comes from the boiler under the floor and is about 1m long until it joins to the manifolds. As per the image above, my plan is to put a couple of 90° bends and bring the pipe out a bit, put a couple of "T"s on then extend the pipe about 3m away in each direction.

Would you still replace the 22mm pipe to the boiler and if so why would you do that?

Hi gmartine,

Sorry really poor drawing!! 2 radiators in the living room, 1 is in a conservatory, and one in the bathroom. The others are in their correct places on the drawing. The kitchen / l'room is one large open plan room, with the kitchen having no radiator, hence the 2 radiators in the l'room (not sure if that makes any sense!)

I like your idea with the 2 X 2 ports, which would probably work out better as the bathroom radiator and one of the living room radiators are almost in line.

Can I ask regarding the manifolds, can the ports face in any direction. Reason I ask is that I'd like to have the ports facing down towards the ground so that I can take 15mm hep pipe away from the port in both directions to the respective radiators.

SimonG, I wonder if installing in to the conservatory is a bit too difficult for me as it is a concrete slab in there. I think I will install an electrical radiator in there instead to make my project a little easier. We rarely use it anyway.

Just out of interest for a conservatory, is a 2 port simply a 2 port manifold which could provide a supply to 2 separate radiators? If so, would this have to provide an independent supply to the conservatory?

Nope it's a two port valve that would require its own thermostat and frost stat to control the conservatory independently from the restbofvthe heating system.

Nope it's a two port valve that would require its own thermostat and frost stat to control the conservatory independently from the restbofvthe heating system.

Thank you Simon I will have a look into that but it all sounds a bit too technical for me!!

Thank you Simon I will have a look into that but it all sounds a bit too technical for me!!
What a good project, well informed and well presented, nice working diagram please keep us informed how you get on. If you could get to the wall in the conservatory you could put a fan assisted myson type rad on wall it would heat 5e room up grand style when needed and isolate when not
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thank you Rob, I appreciate your kind comments.

I will look into your suggestion and see if it is something I could do. We are renovating our whole house at the minute, so almost anything is possible.

I will hopefully have the heating completed in the next couple or weeks with some pictures to follow so that it can be critiqued by the professionals. Good learning exercise for me, and if it isn't right, it will just have to get fixed!

Thanks,
Gregor

Thank you Rob, I appreciate your kind comments.

I will look into your suggestion and see if it is something I could do. We are renovating our whole house at the minute, so almost anything is possible.

I will hopefully have the heating completed in the next couple or weeks with some pictures to follow so that it can be critiqued by the professionals. Good learning exercise for me, and if it isn't right, it will just have to get fixed!

Thanks,
Gregor
Hey look I only see solutions not problems, I design stuff to with heating and plumbing but am well grounded having spend years doing this stuff with up,to 30 fitters all making loads . Keep us informed , that’s why we do this UKPF
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

If you use pipe clips, most foam insulation doesnt seem to fit :(.

Talons with the spacers fit 9mm

Munson rings fit 13mm

Hello,
We are getting a new kitchen installed next month, and will be making space for a door leading into the garage from the kitchen eventually.
I was just wondering would getting a registered person out to moving the piping and cables for the door space be a vast expensive job?
I have attached picture of the piping etc.
Sorry still trying to work out how to start a thread.

DSC_0135.JPG

Depends where you want them moving too

It can cost a bit

There is a lot of work not so much materials in his job. So do as much as you can yourself
Then get professionals in to zap,it one hit. Get the mrs and kids out of the way. M6 hard shoulder is best
centralheatking

Reply to Radiator pipework plan for bungalow (picture) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock