Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator paint issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Having issues with a newish column radiator, still in warranty that's starting to craze/crack. Manufacturer blaming contact with wet towels (not possible to drape over because of height) and use of noxious cleansers....duster????

Any idea what causes this type of defect ?

Thanks

IMG_20190122_124739572.jpg

Looks to me like it's started rusting which has then cracked and split the paint as it the rust layers swell, which would indicate they hadn't prepped it properly before enameling/painting it. How old is it?

Is the crazing just in that region? If so the key question is where did the water that formed the rust come from?

If it's localised to the region shown in your photo, my first guess would be a very small leak either a pin-hole or a weld/seal. The leaked water is then creating rust under the coating, which is straining the coating, which is cracking, etc.

Anyway, tell the manufacturer that their proposed explanations are ruled out by the specific circumstances (assuming that's the case) and that you have concluded that a manufacturing defect is the only reasonable explanation. If they don't wish honour their warranty you'll be making a claim against the company from which you bought the radiator.

After that it's a straightforward consumer dispute, letter of claim, threat of small claims court, etc. It'll boil down to how much you value your time. Personally, I'd write it off to experience and buy another from a different manufacturer and move on with my life.

I would disagree with the manufacturers on that. Most new rads are powder coated these days and for moisture to pass through it and rust the rad beneath is highly unlikely in my opinion.
It is possible as @Pickwickpick said that the prep was poor and corrosion had already begun. It is possible that as the rad heats and expends it cracks the powder coat and that allows moisture in?
No expert on powder coating but it may be worth looking into.

I had a similar issue the manufacturer agree for me to get it fixed. In the end the radiator cost me ÂŁ5.

I’d advise you to get the radiator sand blasted and then power coated to a color of your choice. From a local reputable company.

I have seen that happening on radiators that had faulty paint from factory. Took a few years for paint to deteriorate.
Also identical looking problem caused by putting soaking wet clothes or towels direct onto rads.
That looks more like a factory paint fault to me.

You have a moisture problem in that room for it to rust like that. Make sure your extraction is working, or open a window.
But that cracking is a manufactured fault. Poor quality powder coating, and looks like stress fractures on the sections,
I would be challenging the non payout.

I have seen this on a few occasions it's hard to prove but it could of been a fault in the paint process ie grease left on the bare metal for example when it was coated , I have also seen them rust from the inside out due to swarf being left in the radiator from its manufacturer I always flush them before fitting and put 2 litres of quality inhibitor in the system . My advice get it replaced it the easiest option . Kop

20171016_112119.jpg

20171016_112113.jpg

I had a similar issue the manufacturer agree for me to get it fixed. In the end the radiator cost me ÂŁ5.

I’d advise you to get the radiator sand blasted and then power coated to a color of your choice. From a local reputable company.

I'd avoid powder coating, its not a thermosetting plastic and will soften if heated. I learnt this the hard way, ours ended up all stippled from having a towel over them while on.

Reply to Radiator paint issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone! I purchased this steam vent valve: Hoffman Steam Air Vent 40, 1/8" Angle Steam Radiator Air Valve 401440. Installed it and the hissing is much reduced but now, the hissing happens every 10-20 seconds for about two seconds. Its annoying enough to wake me up at night (I wish I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock