Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator in front room not heating up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back in November 2018 radiator in living room was just say warm, all other radiators were very hot, 12 in total, i changed the radiator as i thought this was the problem, still no better. I had the boiler serviced recently and the engineer suggested it was sludge in the system. I have since drained the fill and expansion tank in the loft, via hosepipe as it was filthy, cleaned out the f & e tank, filled it with clean water, drained off the water in the radiator system which was pretty clean and it had some x100 inhibitor in, added some x400, doing a great job with all other radiators but not the problem one.

The lockshield gets very hot, the valve on the other side stays cold. Yesterday I drained the radiator, kept the x400 cleaner, flushed out the radiator in the garden with a hose pipe, water was very clean, very little crap came out. Water flows fine from the filling valve but very slow from the lockshield valve.

Any help would be appreciated to get this one radiator working again.

The sytem is an open system with f and e tank in the loft, pump, hot water storage tank and 3 way valve in cupboard upstairs, cold water tank in the loft, boiler downstairs in utility. Boiler is serviced annually by certified engineer.

I have also tried turning off all other radiators to try and force heat through, the boiler closes off and radiator still doesn't get hot. The other radiators get hot pretty quickly just not the one in the front room.

Id change the lockshield to begin with.

You could test your existing lockshield. All you have to do is lock/close the lockshield, drain and remove the rad and open the lockshield with a container beneath it to see if water comes out or not. It should be coming out with some force. If its just trickling then it needs to be replaced.

Thank you both for the replies. At the moment i have x400 in the system giving it a good old clean, when i come to flush and drain down the system next weekend i will replace the lockshield valve and the filling valve with new ones. Hope this will solve the problem as pipes are buried in the wall's. Thanks once again.

Just tested both valves on either side of this radiator, both flowing fine, attached my hose pipe to them, one side at a time, (i created a vacuum in the radiator so did not need to drain), warm water flowed from the fill valve and coldish water flowed pretty fast through the lockshield, i was able to control both valves no problem.

Turning off the other rads shouldn’t make any difference. All it means is they won’t drain. The water from the F&E will still flow all the way down to the valves you’re working on. Not really sure what you mean by created a vacuum in the radiator

Turning off the other rads shouldn’t make any difference. All it means is they won’t drain. The water from the F&E will still flow all the way down to the valves you’re working on. Not really sure what you mean by created a vacuum in the radiator
There was just no flow from the radiator as all other valves/air vents were closed, of course i had a bowl below just in case.

I am going to drain the system next weekend and flush out the x400 cleaner that i put in the system last weekend, i am also going to change the lockshield valve on the offending radiator whilst system is drained, if that does not fix the situation i am calling in the experts. Thank you for all of the help and support from all. Thanks Riley for the help.

Thought i would post an update on my radiator not heating up, I drained the system today, attached a washing machine hose to the radiator valve and forced some air down the radiator pipe using a foot pump, repeated the process 3 times then out the blockage came, with some force, pleased i had the plastic down and towels to the ready, replaced the radiator valves and radiator, i bought these just in case to be prepaired. Radiator now red hot.
I also had the pump replaced to a more economical and energy efficient one.

I can certainly recommend x400 it did exactly what it said on the tin, (first central heating system clean in 16 years), system heats up quicker and is a lot quieter. One sytem flush done, 2 more to go before the x100 goes in. Thanks to all for the help.

Reply to Radiator in front room not heating up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock