Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Help!! pipe hot, radiator not in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi hoping someone may be able to guve me some pointers.
Downstairs radiator lockshield pipe is hot, radiator not at all and temp valve end and pipe not either.

I have taken radiator off and flushed, checked thermostat valve pin is going up and down and played with lockshield valve. Tried turning all rads off in house and boiler in full but still no luck, just makes the pipe feedin it hotter!
The heat is on the pipe, the valve and the ball shape (see pic) part of the bottom of the radiator

0F4518BC-7B54-45D7-AC5B-DA9CE3F33963.jpeg

ADDA70ED-AC2D-4A38-9711-2BEAA1632F09.jpeg

F4172CFD-777E-47A5-A734-34AEAD000C94.jpeg

8069E111-171F-4AF0-BA8F-13DAD0BD0080.jpeg

You should get flow if it’s on or off. However mind if it’s hot. It would imply to me you have a flow problem and we need to ascertain if that’s a radiator or a valve/pipework problem

I would be tempted to take the rad off and put an empty ice cream tub or similar container beneath the lockshield and open it slightly.

Regardless of whether the heating is on or off you should get a good flow of water coming out of the lockshield. That implies the fault is elsewhere.

If you get a very slow drip/sputtering, it means you have a blocked lockshield. Best solution would be to replace it.

Thanks for the pointers. Think i will jave to take rad of at the weekend.
Regarding the microbore, the house was built in 2003, i read sonething saying it was popular in 70’s ?
Yeah it was popular in the 70s and up to present day unfortunately.
It's more prone to blocking due to the smaller diameter, a lot of installers use the crimping type reducers into 15mm valves which are awful if they ever leak, the amount of heat they can deliver is lower etc. Lots of reasons why I prefer good old 15mm from 22mm f/r.
My guess is one of the pipes is bunged up and you'll probably be able to clear it into a bucket once you remove the rad.

Reply to Radiator Help!! pipe hot, radiator not in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock